PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I read it on the internet....so has to be true.....

Seriously, one of our most knowledgeable members posted that and I've not known him to be wrong. I won't call his name, but he may chime in if he wishes.

And, yeah, I have no first hand knowledge of same, couldn't produce a test to confirm!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Years ago because stupid idiots were setting themselves on fire, and they were tired of the liability for morons.
I think it was those flaming shots. Which they did have their sales reps really push on bartenders. And the flame you get from those isn't always all that visible especially in the kind of lighting scheme in certain clubs. I guess my point is they can't pin it all on the morons, especially when the morons had significant help.

Reactions: Briar Lee

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I read it on the internet....so has to be true.....

Seriously, one of our most knowledgeable members posted that and I've not known him to be wrong. I won't call his name, but he may chime in if he wishes.

And, yeah, I have no first hand knowledge of same, couldn't produce a test to confirm!
If it is on the internet then it has to be true?.
Seriously, if true, it would follow that pipes that have had the “salt treatment” or have been cleaned with a retort would have a statistically notable increase in burnouts.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
That's why I'm surprised that Everclear is still on the market.
like I pointed out. They never actively encouraged people to act extra stupid with their product. Which might also explain why they're not talking about it. It's kind of like the difference between two cars one that can go really fast and the other which can also go really fast but the ads suggest going really fast on public highways cause it's fun. Which one of those is going to get their pants sued off?

Reactions: Briar Lee

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Hot water will remove tars and oils, whether or not they are dissolved.

And in addition to the flavor hit mentioned, alcohol removes some of the minerals that make briar so impervious to fire.
Hot water basically lowers viscosity, so any cleaning is mechanical, some tars, waxes and solid oils melt and are carried off, part of why I love hot water flushing!
Regarding alcohol removing minerals from wood, I seriously doubt it, and I am a biochemist. Typically what you need to remove minerals is an acid, which alcohol is not, and then any leaching of minerals would be only in the few microns that liquids penetrate the wood.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
True.There was a bar on Crete where,at night,when things were really getting going, a bar tender would stand up on the bar,and squirt some sort of accelerant all over the horizontal surfaces,then light the entire bar on fire.The accelerant had a thickener in it,so it wouldn't run too much.If you weren't familiar with this ritual, a burn would be the likely result.Well.....it happened;some kid got burned,early 2000s.The place was shut down as a result.Too bad ,I really enjoyed the place.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
True.There was a bar on Crete where,at night,when things were really getting going, a bar tender would stand up on the bar,and squirt some sort of accelerant all over the horizontal surfaces,then light the entire bar on fire.The accelerant had a thickener in it,so it wouldn't run too much.If you weren't familiar with this ritual, a burn would be the likely result.Well.....it happened;some kid got burned,early 2000s.The place was shut down as a result.Too bad ,I really enjoyed the place.
fire humanities best frenemy since forever.

Reactions: samuelgawith01

Rob NC

Lurker
Dec 1, 2021
North Carolina
I always heard it was a bad idea to introduce water into the shank, because it could swell the briar and make the tenon not fit properly, while alcohol evaporates before it can do any damage. Made sense to me, but am I wrong?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Ah, the tropical climes of Minnesota! Hard to think of a more Caribbean looking spot, especially the palm trees everywhere, and the ocean is never more than a few miles away!
I know, right!? I'm pretty sure most people think of Minnesota as just being cold and liberal but really it snot.

Reactions: jpmcwjr