Pipe Lighting Techniques, Reality or Left Handed Pipe Wrench?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Oh, right. I suppose I should share how I'm lighting my bowls. Cosmic can rest easy knowing that he's not the only one who can't upload a video, but in my case I just can't be bothered!

I light my bowls by giving it just a touch of flame and a few quick puffs, then I'll use the ambient heat of the flame to bring up an ember. Only takes a moment or so of actual flammenwerfering. Then I let that ember go out, tamp and relight.

I was going to be cheeky and say I used a pipe wrench to light my tobacco but, eh...

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
Soooo, like no one on here knows how to post a video?
Upload it to YouTube and link it would be the easiest.

Ive definitely found I’ve been getting a better light/experience recently while I’ve been consciously moving my later further away (than I was) from the tobacco whilst lighting it.

I suppose it all comes down to how big your inches are as well.....

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I use a length of bee's waxed hemp wick which is wrapped around a stick I found in the yard and de-barked and cut the ends 'square'. I've been using hemp wick for years and it reduces the use of butane and the accumulation of waste. It takes about the same effort to use as striking a match, with the added (!) benefit of having a convenient tamper in your hand. The lights I get are soft and as long or short as I want. I can reach into the deepest bowl to get those obstinate last few draws smoldering again, with ease.

boatme99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Somewhere in this vast universe
Well, there was no interweb when I started smoking pipes. I just learned by trial and error. It didn't take me long to figure out what worked and what didn't but maybe I'm just more intelligent than everyone else.
I mean I do get an urge every few months to implement one of my myriad plans to achieve world domination.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
The costs of not busting out the micrometer when lighting one’s pipe are all too real. This homey, lived-in effect can appear, showing every gory detail of tools well-used, and memories of perfect smokes evoked as gut-wrenching warnings every time you pack a bowl. The horror, the horror.

A31A9877-04FF-47EF-94F2-E8D4B3CCF1F3.jpeg
BCE14F61-3A88-4FCC-B7CC-9AB476D42F13.gif

Reactions: ophiuchus

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
I use a length of bee's waxed hemp wick which is wrapped around a stick I found in the yard and de-barked and cut the ends 'square'. I've been using hemp wick for years and it reduces the use of butane and the accumulation of waste. It takes about the same effort to use as striking a match, with the added (!) benefit of having a convenient tamper in your hand. The lights I get are soft and as long or short as I want. I can reach into the deepest bowl to get those obstinate last few draws smoldering again, with ease.
What do you use to light the wick?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Or ... spend two hours smoking with an old codger who's been at it since Hector was a pup, and pretty soon the process will imprint on you like an ear-worm tune. You won't be able to do anything but what he did.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Or ... spend two hours smoking with an old codger who's been at it since Hector was a pup, and pretty soon the process will imprint on you like an ear-worm tune. You won't be able to do anything but what he did.
Ah... Kinda miss hanging out with humans sometimes these days.