PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stumpyds8

Lurker
Mar 15, 2012
IU settled on a Vertigo butane lighter. Working great so far. Thank you for all of the advice. I will be picking up a Zippo as well.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I've got the corona old boy and love it. Lights every time on first strike. Check it out, you wont be disappointed.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
My Old Boy has been giving me nothing but trouble. Unless the flint is brand new, it doesn't light. I keep a lit candle next to my chair and light the Old Boy off that.
I may look into a Xigar or one of those new Pearl lighters. Max at Pipe2Smoke just got a bunch of new ones in.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
keep using matches. A two dollar Djeep works great for back up when you need a lighter.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Xikar Scribe is the best pipe lighter I have ever used. The constant on butane, and the long shape are absolutely brilliant for lighting pipes. Simply perfect ergonomics for the task/ Adjustable, large soft flame, as well.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I picked up a Xikar Pipeline lighter yesterday and REALLY like it. As mentioned previously, my Old Boy has been giving me problems for the last few years.
The Xikar lights every time. LOVE it!

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I have a few Xikars that have been surprisingly good, so far. All soft flames, and one with an angled flame.

I will say that the Gun Metal EX has had significant problems with "trim" pieces falling out and getting lost, and the finish coming off. That is annoying.
I also smoke cigars, and my 2 to 3 dollar Ronson Jet Lites (I think that's the name) have been going strong for years. I have had several torch type lighters from Colibri, Vector, & Blazer, and they have all failed within 6 months. I use only quintuple refined butane, and do all the other maintenance properly. Now someone explain to

me how a 2 to 3 dollar lighter can be several times more reliable than these supposed "best lighters in the world"?
When it is all said and done, A Zippo Pipe Lighter is probably the ultimate for reliability, and the wise buy if you are not one who can taste the fuel after a few puffs.

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
My favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPhnDLzWXkA
You can find them fairly inexpensive on eBay and they don't have the unclassy "click" sound that modern piezo-electric ignition lighters have.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
Xikar Old Boy is my "go-to" lighter on a daily basis, but I was given an em corona that is truly beautiful. I use it as a Sunday lighter or on special occasions. Both companies put out superb products.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I love my Corona Pipe Magie. Has a 90-degree flame for pipe lighting, easy to use (with right hand) and has nothing to catch on the pocket like Old Boys. I won't buy anything you have to hold a trigger down on.
Here's a pic link: (copy the whole link and paste into new window)
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/IM-Corona-Pipe-Magie-Chrome-Line-H-Pipe-Lighter-380043-/21/!Bb8Ff8!!mk~$(KGrHqYH-CIEq3!t422KBKySSnQlgw~~_35.JPG

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I now have 3 Zippo pipe lighters. They are hard to beat.
Use the black Zippo fuel if you don't want burnt leg syndrome. Ronsonol fuel if you just don't care.
Keep them upright as much as you can, and they will not run out of fuel so fast. Also, sometimes if you set them upright when they seem empty, a few minutes later you can get a few good lights out of them.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 Trailboss. By the way, that was interesting information about dating Zippo lighters. I looked at the bottom of my Zippo and saw G 10, indicating it was manufactured in September 2010. In fact, I bought it in September 2010 at the big E, the New England regional fair which takes place every September.
My preference is for wooden matches and a conventional fuel lighter because of their lower temperature. When at home, I use matches or beeswax impregnated hemp string, because the latter has the lowest temperature of all. I keep a smokers candle burning nearby, and use it to light the hemp string. This, of course, carries the least risk of damage to the pipe itself, and less risk of burning the tobacco, thereby adversely affecting the taste. I have several butane fuel lighters as well, but I am ever mindful of the fact that they burn 1000°C hotter than the conventional fuel lighters, and that is quite a lot of heat. Nonetheless, I must admit that being seen out in public with my Colibri Old Boy has a certain cachet to it. (Even when I realize that a Bic or at DJeep will work just as well for a lot less money.)

Jul 29, 2014
BIC Disposables. I like the black one and sometimes use the green one. When with a group of friends, I usually use the pink one as nobody will steal a pink lighter. :rofl:

wasatch

Lurker
Aug 23, 2014
I have a proper pipe lighter, but these work well too:
sku_109585_1.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've been using Zippos for decades, through my cigarette smoking period and now my pipes. The only drawback I can see for the Zippo is having to use caution when you want to preserve the rim from burning damage, and I'm learning how to do that. For some reason, I haven't had much luck with the special pipe insert. But the Zippo is always reliable, and you can get them repaired free.

I know of one anecdote concerning a Zippo that the company used later in its ads: Fellow pulled up a fish that had a Zippo in its stomach. The fisherman took the Zippo apart, cleaned it, replaced the flint and cotton, fueled it, and it snapped back to life. The fellow wrote a letter describing this to Zippos and the company printed his letter and paid him a few thousand. Nice catch!

Status
Not open for further replies.