PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
Ok forum, I have a question. I was given a new empty pipe lighter. I bought some butane. And I have indeed read the posts on how to fill it. But I admit to being anxious. I turned down the flame indicator all the way. I guess that whole "contents under pressure" thing has me buffalowed. Any last minute advice before I go outside and try this?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Ok forum, I have a question. I was given a new empty pipe lighter. I bought some butane. And I have indeed read the posts on how to fill it. But I admit to being anxious. I turned down the flame indicator all the way. I guess that whole "contents under pressure" thing has me buffalowed. Any last minute advice before I go outside and try this?
yeah it hisses and gets cold and just don't do it near open flame or sparks (or put the pipe down for a second) and you'll be fine it is easy.

Reactions: Carol

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
Tried it again. Then when I turned flame wheel back up, it flew off with a mighty pop. Can't find where it went. Frankly, I am fairly good with mechanical stuff. But I'm sure doing something wrong here. Grrrr. Well, I'll buy another pipe lighter later, and maybe try again. Sheesh! Thanks anyway y'all. Back to the bic.

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
My Lotus requires purging the tank ( I use the rod on a pipe tool) before filling with the screw turn to most low setting and waiting 10 minutes. Nozzel might need cleaning and I use compressed air.
Thank you. I purged the air first. And it was new, so wouldn't think the nozzle was clogged, but maybe. What do I know, obviously. It was, I thought, a nice gift. But now that the wheel for adjusting the flame is missing, it's a moot point.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Carol, Carol, Carol. Bigger the flame, bigger.. Well. Most canister butane won't blow up while refueling. But make sure your lighter isn't jet flame lighter.

Reactions: JOHN72

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
May I ask, what brand is your lighter?
For the money and use outdoors, you can’t beat a go ‘ol Zippo pipe lighter.

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
May I ask, what brand is your lighter?
For the money and use outdoors, you can’t beat a go ‘ol Zippo pipe lighter.

It is a Hearth and Home. I think he got it from Pipes and Cigars.