PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinPa

Lurker
Jun 25, 2020
I've been a pipe smoker for decades and have always preferred butane lighters. I'm from Chicago but haven't lived in the US for over 20 years. I always bought my butane from various tobaccoists and never had any real problem.

Some years back, I bought a Peterson lighter. There are no tobacco shops near me now, and, to make a long story short. I filled it with grocery-store butane. I'm not stingy; I just didn't have access to tobacco shops and didn't realise there were differences in quality that I needed to observe. I just filled it with butane as I'd always done.

So yeah, it doesn't work. It must be clogged up with gunky residue.

I've since discovered how to get some decent quality butane here and have other lighters, but I'm wondering if this is repairable or should it be discarded?

(I am just assuming that this is the problem. I've watched all the youtube vids and read the various blogs on the subject. Nothing has helped.)

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've been a pipe smoker for decades and have always preferred butane lighters. I'm from Chicago but haven't lived in the US for over 20 years. I always bought my butane from various tobaccoists and never had any real problem.

Some years back, I bought a Peterson lighter. There are no tobacco shops near me now, and, to make a long story short. I filled it with grocery-store butane. I'm not stingy; I just didn't have access to tobacco shops and didn't realise there were differences in quality that I needed to observe. I just filled it with butane as I'd always done.

So yeah, it doesn't work. It must be clogged up with gunky residue.

I've since discovered how to get some decent quality butane here and have other lighters, but I'm wondering if this is repairable or should it be discarded?

(I am just assuming that this is the problem. I've watched all the youtube vids and read the various blogs on the subject. Nothing has helped.)

I suppose filling it with some high altitude butane couldn't hurt. However, it could be any number of things wrong. The valve or burner could be bad. Bleed it, fill it and try.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Maybe try giving it a good cleaning? A toothbrush and some Everclear scrubbed around the gas nozzle may get things back into shape.

KevinPa

Lurker
Jun 25, 2020
I've tried at several different positions of the flame adjustment screw, but no.

Hard to do with this kind of lighter though.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've only used cheap butane in my IM Corona Old Boy. Sounds like your lighter has vapor lock. Turn the flame adjustment all the way down, bleed the fill valve, and place the lighter in the freezer for 10-20 minutes. Fill with butane adjust the flame adjuster and light.

I clean mine with alcohol and bristle pipe cleaners whenever I replace the flint with no issue. Is it possible you're Peterson is leaking butane?

KevinPa

Lurker
Jun 25, 2020
I filled it over a week ago and started giving up on it. When I tried again today and emptied it, it was very full, so I don't think it's leaking.

Will try the freezer thing when I get home later tonight and report back. Thanks.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Status
Not open for further replies.