Status
Not open for further replies.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
@huntertrw
It smokes like a dream.
My only problem with this one is that it's a bit on the heavy side to be a clencher. The shape feels great in the hand.
Because I'm a newb to pipe-making I left it a little thick. It has a pretty beefy stem and bottom. I've actually been thinking about trimming it down a bit and re-staining. Most likely though, I'll keep it the way it is and save the effort for my next pipe.
It's just about time for me to order another kit and try a bent shape!

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
@crusader
It was a plateau pipe kit from Vermont Freehand. I was very satisfied with the service and kit.
Tools used were:
Dremel with flex shaft extension with various bits

A couple of needle files.

Sand paper sheets in grits from 120 - 800

Leather Dye

White Diamond and Jeweler's rouge

Carnauba wax

And the main resource - A huge amount of time and patience.
Keep in mind that was an upgrade for me. My first pipe was done entirely with hand tools. So add a coping saw, flat/round file rasp, and minus the Dremel for that one.
I look forward to seeing you're hand made pipe on the boards soon :D
Honestly you can make your own pipe for relatively little investment (in dollars).

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
That came out pretty darn well, especially for a second pipe. You might have knocked a bit more off the bottom of the bowl to make it lighter, but a nice result nevertheless.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a mighty pretty pipe. I'd call it complete and not mess with reshaping, but you learned a lot and next

time you can take off a little more briar and lighten it up some. Is it an egg, an apple, or maybe a brandy?

Doesn't matter, you did a fine job with giving it a handsome traditional look. Did you go all the way from the

start with the Dremel or did you hew it down with a saw first? What were the man hours in that? I'd guess at

least twenty for a new pipe carver, but you may work more (or less) quickly. You put it in a vise? Safety glasses?

Anyway, nice job, man.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
@mso489
Agreed it's complete in shape. I think if I went back at that, I'd never be finished with it.
I intended it to be an egg shape. Whether or not it meets any type of shape definition, I have no idea. It looks like an egg to me, so egg it is.
I did the basic shaping with a hand saw. The Dremel was used for rough shaping. I used files and sand paper for fine tuning.
It took a little over a week to do. Evenings during the workdays and a good part of a weekend. Probably a little more than 20 hours in all, but not a lot more.
Safety glasses, all the way! Mask and gloves when appropriate. I even where my mechanics gloves when filing. I still have a couple scars from the first pipe I made by hand (meaning no power tools at all). I learned halfway through it that the gloves were a lot tougher than my skin.
Thanks for the kind words from you, as well as the others that have posted.

Jan 8, 2013
I learned halfway through it that the gloves were a lot tougher than my skin.
Lol... I learned that as well on my first pipe, Ivape. Wood rasps and knuckles are not friends. I'm glad this thread was opened again... it gave me a chance to see that pipe again. Very impressive job on that one indeed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.