PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
My pipe Journey
My Pipe journey started in the summer of 2003. I was an occasional cigar smoke up until this point but being a poor college student well the cigars were a little pricey being 5-10 dollars for the ones I enjoyed. Anyway one faithful day at the tinderbox debating on what cigar I wanted to purchase I saw a tin of dunhill nightcap in the case with all the pipes I thought the tin art looked neat and my Uncle smoked a pipe and I was always intrigued by it. So after talking with the helpful gentleman who was working there that day I walked out with a basket pipe, a pipe tool, some pipe cleaners and a pamphlet on how to pack and smoke my new pipe, my shiny new pipe and of course a free ounce of a bulk blend since I bought a pipe as well philosopher if memory serves correctly. When I got home I went to the back patio and proceeded to crack open that tin of nightcap and smoke it. The tin aroma was simply wonderful to me and the rich smokey taste was fantastic. However not knowing what I was doing I puffed really hard and of course my tongue got roasted. The nicotine made my head spin when I went to stand up but other then that a new pipe smoker was born.
A couple months later my friends Jamie and Mike wanted to try smoking pipes as this was around when the lord of the ring movies were coming out being the nerds we were we wanted a “Gandolf” pipe as we later came to learn are churchwardens. Our own pipe group was formed we would hang out at Mikes apartment smoking our pipes and shooting the breeze. Jamie and mike preferred aromatics heavy on black Cavendish were as I was an English smoker occasional dabbling in black Cavendish based blends. I remember once when Mike tried mixing prince Albert with cloves to make essentially a kretek like pipe blend It was so strong and harsh but he liked it I thought it was tongue numbingly vile but like my Grandfather Don taught me “all that matters is if you like it” ie smoke or drink what you like don’t worry what other people thing about it. I took a hiatus from pipe smoking as I was living at home and my Mom didn’t want me smoking at the house even outside and as I was living at home well I wasn’t going to argue so alas I gifted my pipe to Mike. In 2011 I ran into Mike around town and he mentioned he still had my old pipe and was wondering if I wanted it back I said sure. That rekindled my love of pipe smoking I drove town to the local cigar store alas the tinderbox is no longer there and is now predominately a cigar only store with a handful of pipe stuff and purchased a tin of nightcap just as wonderful as I remember. I had forgotten the pure joy and relaxation the pipe affords in the hustle of bustle of modern life.
I still feel like a newbie as I have really only been actively involved in pipes since that reunion in 2011. I now find my self dabbling in VaPers, Flakes and Balkans with the occasional aromatic still.

While my first pipe was over a decade ago I feel my journey really kicked into gear in 2011 and what I a journey it has been I started with a cheap basket pipe but my collection has since expanded to include Meerschaums, 2 Dunhills. Peterson, Barling and others and the basket pipe that started it all it still sits on my pipe rack and I smoke it occasionally when I feel nostalgic. I now have a decent cellar going I converted out of an old dresser.
When I smoke my pipe I am often reminded of the wonderful evenings spent with friends. Pipe smoking has enabled to be less introverted and make more friendships the overreaching bond that comes from a group of pipe smokers getting together as in my experience we are a welcoming people even thru the debate can get heated at times at the end of the day we all share the common bond for our enjoyment of pipes In closing I would ask you dear reader to think about your pipe journey and all the joy it has brought you. Thank you sincerely Michael H.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Right on! Yeah, I came to pipes from cigars as well. I'd be online shopping for cigars and RYO tobacco, and I'd start browsing different pipe tobaccos, and find myself really interested in all the different varieties of pipe blends. Eventually, curiosity caught up with me, and I bought a couple of cobs and some different blends. Like you, I gravitated towards Latakia blends right off. I really only intended to try a couple of blends to see what it was like, but I quickly realized how much more bank for my buck I could get with pipe smoking over cigars, and the sheer amount of options and choices to experiment with appealed to me as well. I still smoke cigars fairly regularly, and love them, but I smoke a pipe more often at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.