PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjayhawk

Lurker
Sep 3, 2011
Suburban Kansas City
Hello All,
I am hoping that someone can help me identify an estate pipe I recently purchased at my local B&M store.
is7fv.jpg

The markings on the bottom of the pipe are:

Santa Mauro

Fait main

St Claude

France
From my Google research, I have found that St. Claude, France is a well known pipe making city in France. Fair main is french for hand made.
What I can't find anything about is Santa Mauro. Is anyone familiar at all with that tag?
Thank you for all of the help!
Edit- I resized the picture for more pleasurable viewing. Also, I apologize that my phone decided it would rather focus on the tree in the background rather than the pipe.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Santa Mauro isn't on Pipedia.org yet, so if you do find something else about the brand creating a page would be helpful to us other pipesters.
Can we get a photo of the stamp itself? Sometimes the markings give more information than the text.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Looks like one of those "non-de-script" but eminently fine-quality factory-made Italian pipes.

If you are looking to affix a value....

I like the shape, very nice cross grain that really shows off the birds eyes...

I'd guess in the $50 range... new.

Looks to be a great pipe.

cjayhawk

Lurker
Sep 3, 2011
Suburban Kansas City
I appreciate you looking at it. I thought it was odd that it had Santa Mauro, seemingly Italian, but then French markings. I felt it might be an Italian pipe pretending to be French, or a French pipe pretending to be Italian.
If anybody else has any ideas, I hope you will share.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
The design looks like a Butz-Choquin, it may be a sub-brand of theirs.

cjayhawk

Lurker
Sep 3, 2011
Suburban Kansas City
Thank you for the reply, KCvet. I've sent Butz-Choquin an email to see if they can be of any assistance.
Since I am so new to this, I had never even heard of this company. Their website is like a trip back in time to 1998.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I agree with KCVET. Butz Choquin produces fine factory-made pipes in St. Claude, France. Personally I consider them on a par with Peterson but for some reason they don't have the same esteem.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Love those BC pipes. There are several manufacturers located in St Claude. Many produce for other sellers as well as their own name brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.