PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've looked at the Accessories pages at the online distributors, haven't seen much of anything designed specifically to sit your pipe in while driving. At present, I have one of those metal cigar ashtrays that sits in a cupholder, has a flip up lid with two springy metal pieces to hold a cigar. That kind of works for a pipe but well less than ideal.
Any suggestions?

I put one of those drawer liners into the insert on the dashboard of my new truck. Then I put two pipe holders on that to keep them from sliding around when I have to break hard, and I drilled a hole in one of the holders to hold a golf tee, that I use as my travel pipe tamp. This works great for me.

06B2935B-B27D-48F9-B68D-AD74A3DFFE19.jpeg

Reactions: Moore

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Put a square of leather in the ashtray, rest the pipe on that. I also use the side pockets on the door, place a going pipe in them when I get out of the car and can't take the pipe with me.

Reactions: sugardaddy

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Maybe self-sticking Velcro dots/squares -one on the pipe, and one on a car surface.... might help? Stick the pipe down and then peel it off the stationary/mounted dot.
Just speculating.
Frank

NYC

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
Michael, that's a great looking R. Scarlatta you have there! How do you like it? I have two of his pipes and both are solid smokers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's very creative Cosmic!
Here's a magnetic mount, they are all over ebay, in various designs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Automotive-Car-Truck-Magnetic-Dash-Mounted-Pipe-Holder-W-Felt-Lining-/310670907711

Most have clips to hold the pipe in place.
s-l500.jpg

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
Forum member Mayfair made a leather strap you can attach that's pretty cool. He sent me one and it works great. Search his post from a couple of months ago.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
I like the pouch idea for other reasons and I think I will make that happen. I am not so sure about that idea for the pipe itself. I have visions of something I could set a lit pipe in. I have a very strong magnet set in a base with a 1/4-20 thread in sort of a “t” shape that I could do something with. I could maybe attach a wood base to that. Not sure how secure that would be in a somewhat bouncy truck though.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
The dash paint is not original, and isn’t really all that great (one day I will completely restore it). I can protect the paint with a felt lining if the magnet is strong enough. I like the idea of clips to secure the pipe, I didn’t think of that. I will check out the leather strap. Thanks for the great ideas!

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Tuold, I hadn’t thought of that. You have just made the solution to my situation stupid simple! A bit of 1938 know how, seems a fitting alteration for a 1950 pickup. I have an unused existing hole that I can enlarge a bit, and a simple rubber grommet that I can get from work should keep the pipe fairly secure.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Hoosier,

A support clip for a u-bent t8 or t12 fluorescent lamp may be easily modified for your application. Usually they are made out of spring steel, and some have a plastic coating that would prevent scratches. Designed to fit a 1 inch (t8) or 1 1/2 inch (t12) round lamp.

Reactions: sugardaddy
Thanks Al

Michael, that's a great looking R. Scarlatta you have there! How do you like it?

The dublin smokes like a champ. I highly recommend his pipes. It has a steel tubing reinforcing the pencil thin shank, so you can feel confident that it won't just snap like a twig. The other was made by Dan who is featured in the latest Pipesmagazine article. It's quickly become a solid member of my goto rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.