PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Remember, a small pipe, like a Group 2 or 3, can give a full-length smoke with many flake/plug/coin/rope cuts. So look the pipe over carefully. Some of the pipes I've bought with minimal expectations have turned out to be good little cookers. You only do not want them if you are committed to high-end pipes, which is a calling in itself. But most of us can get amazing good use out of some (not all) "ordinary" pipes.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Some of the pipes I've bought with minimal expectations have turned out to be good little cookers.
I'm sure he'll smoke it and he'll enjoy it. What will be funny is that he's a big guy over 6' and likes to do everything "big". Big beard, big tattoos, big truck, big pipes... and then he's going to open the box and pull out this pipe with a little bowl. I'll probably record it on my phone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In general, I think new pipe smokers need to order specific pipes, carefully selected and considered, so they learn about pipes and what they're getting, so they can calibrate future pipe purchases. I'd recommend they select one pipe at a time, and smoke it and learn about it, before ordering another. The same with tobacco. Better to select small sample quantities of bulk in one-ounce quantities, and maybe highly selectively one or two tins, so you are focusing and thinking about it every step of the way. I've been at this for decades, eons some might say, and I am still learning, so it is better to start out on a high learning curve and not leave anything completely to chance. A bad pipe experience early on can put a person off the whole process. It's more work, but it should be fun work. For starters, people need to learn a bit about filters and unfiltered pipes; about shapes and sizes; about stem and pipe materials; different bits; and so on. Don't just send me a pipe, whereby I learn much less.

Status
Not open for further replies.