PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
Hi All!
So the wife has decided she'd like her own pipe while sitting around the firepit. She's never really smoked much before, but wants give it a go.
What pipe would you buy your wife? Don't want to spend a lot of money since I'm not sure she'll stay with it. Thought about a cob but don't want to look over and see Ma Kettle!! She likes bent pipes. Thinking about an inexpensive briar. Mini meers sound about right but don't want to get her something that will fall apart after a short time.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Can't believe no one used the old joke about "pipe for my wife", "Not a bad trade".

Seriously, nice of you to look for something for her. The estate route makes sense and the Dr, Grabow's are not large so she should feel comfortable with one of those.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Let her pick one for herself. If she doesn't follow through as a smoker put it in your own rotation.
Bingo. Let her pick something aesthetically pleasing to her, and you may have a life long pipe partner.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
This Brand caught my attention the other night: Genod pipes. They have some really cheap pipes. Don't have any experience with them, though, so I dunno if they're OK or cheap as in 'avoid them'. Maybe some other members can pipe in (pun intended).

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Very cool that you and your wife have this hobby to share. I'm going to cast another vote for letting her pick her own. What pipe does she like best from your stash? My wife smokes with me in the evenings out on the patio when it is nice weather. She's been sharing a pipe with me for over a year now. More and more often she initiates it now. "Wanna smoke a pipe?" In the past I picked out the pipe and tobacco. packed the pipe, etc. But in the past couple months she is doing it on her own. If I tell her to pick whatever pipe she wants, she ALWAYS comes back with a yellow Dr. Graybow billiard with a saddle bit. Of all the pipes I have, that is her hands-down favorite. I am so happy that she enjoys it that I don't care how or if it rotates. If we burn a hole it I will buy another one. In our situation I asked her if she wanted her own but she didn't see the point in it when I had one she liked so much. Oh, and her favorite tobacco is hands-down Dunhill Nightcap, followed by Frog Morton On the Town. She started with English blends and hated an aromatic when I let her try it.

I really love the pipes that my wife has bought me, but they are not pipes that I would have bought for myself. None of you had better tell her that, ha ha. But, I would think that picking out a pipe for someone would be like picking out shoes or ties for them. It mostly appeases ourself more than the other person.
Maybe, pick out a pipe with her. You probably know more about which are the best pipes, but she will kn ow more which pipes appeal to her aesthetically. Plus, it will give you two more time together, and better ensure that she uses it. When you pick something out yourself, you tend to have more ownership over that thing.
But, be sure to let her see the Tsuge pipes. They have some cool "girlish" pipes. UGG, someone is going to pound me for that one, I just know, ha ha. But, those pipes may be a good starting point for you guys.
Good luck!!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm with Cosmic. Pick out a pipe with her.
But be sure to show how a Savinelli Ginger's Favorite.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pick out that pipe you've always wanted but couldn't justify. If she quits smoking, it goes into your rotation. If she doesn't quit smoking you can buy one to make a matched set.
The real problem with her smoking is not the pipe, it's that she might burn through your stash of Stonehaven.

You laugh, but this happened to me years ago with a girlfriend who smoked-up all my Sobranie Reserve!

(I couldn't cut her off lest she cut me off, IYKWIM.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Despite my frequent mention of EWA pipes, I've never seen them mentioned back. Nonetheless, Iwan Ries carries these. They are small pipes, but will give a good smoke with ribbon, and a full-length smoke with flake (plug, rope). They are quality French pipes, some under $40, and if your wife decided she wanted a larger pipe, she'd be in a position to choose her own, with some smoking experience. IR offers several well designed churchwarden's, about 7", and some pocket pipes. I'd suggest the churchwardens for starters. As I recall they come in dark walnut or green. I think your wife would be well satisfied with these, and if she decided she didn't like smoking, you could take it over as a small pipe -- with many good uses.
Genod are excellent pipes. Like some other French pipes, they are not expensive but are better than many pipes that cost more. I have a bent egg, a compact pipe with an ample bowl, that I enjoy.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I agree with all the comments that said to let her pick her own pipe. My reasoning for that is that my wife has smoked a pipe for over 30 years, and after I bought her a few pipes that I thought she'd like, it turned out not to be so. She ended up being quite picky about what shape and finish she likes, as opposed to the pipes brand. Unless this pipe is supposed to be a surprise gift, I would go shopping with her either at a store or online. Hopefully this will show her you care that she gets something she likes and will continue to smoke along with you. Good luck!

mkelaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2012
I've got a couple of Comoy's Monogram "Ladies' Pipes", a straight and a bent at the bottom of my English Page here. Might be just the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.