Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
Can't go wrong with the mighty corncob... :worship: :puffy:
AJuozasPipes002.jpg

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
suggestion/ Go on ebay and look at pipes for sale. Don't buy, just look. This is a great way to see a zillion pipes and get an idea as to shapes, stains, size, and grains that you are pulled to. The estate pipes (used) can be a real bargain only after you have gained the experience needed to evaluate pipes. Still somewhat of a gamble, but you can find presmoked pipes at a fraction of the cost as opposed to new. Good luck. I hope you never contract PAD. Pipe Aquisition Disorder can also be the Homewrecker.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
Also agree, wait and get a nice hand-made...I purchased a nice Boswell shotshell rusticated for a little under $100, one of my best smokers...they put out new designs every Thursday morning around 10AM...Also Jake Hackert, Mark Balkovec is putting out a The "P3" Pedone Poket Pipe (see image below), also Mark Tinsky pipes (under $200) you can get a nice blast from him, his pipes are also outstanding
Maybe an idea is to snag a few clays as well...also some nice ones out there...
Man I like that Mark Tinsky and the Shotshell!
Can't go wrong with the mighty corncob...

I have liked them so far especially now since I removed the filter.
And I have been doing alot of ebay surfing as well. Today I plan on going to the local antique mall/flea market see if I can catch any good finds.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
+1 lazydog
Stanwell and savinelli make great pipes in the 50-60 dollar range. However, you would be wisest to save for one that costs in the 100+ range.

Jul 12, 2011
You have good taste; Cavicchi makes very very nice pipes...I was eye'in

that one and a billiard with saddle bit (which already sold/thank goodness...

my PAD beast was a howl'in at the moon last night on that one) but with PAD always

comes another one :)
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=97500

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
One hundred bucks is great, if you can afford that at any given time. You can pick up really good, new, economy pipes that will give you a lifetime of service. See, for me, I can't justify $100 for a pipe. If I'm going to be dropping that much on pipe stuff, I'd rather it be tobacco, and maybe a decent economy pipe from Savinelli or Peterson.
From experience, I can tell you that these two lines are great:
Savinelli Morino Line
Peterson Kapet Line
Good deals are out there if you just do a little looking. For me personally, I'm not a big fan of estates, so I go new, and not very expensive. Get your feet wet before you take the plunge. Find out what you like without going all in, and after a little bit of trial and error, you can start moving up to more expensive pipes.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
I like the Kapet 68 Fishtail but im not so sure how I feel about the chrome ring around the stem...

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
Actually, the ring is around the shank. Some people like it, some don't. One of the cool things about it is that a metal helps the briar keep its shape and reduces the chance of the stem loosening. I have the Kapet X220, and it is one of my favorite pipes.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
While I like my more expensive pipes more, on average, than my cheaper ones, I wouldn't say you have to spend $100 to get a good one. Many good, reputable makers have cheaper lines. Like this from Sav. I don't have that line but I have one from another inexpensive line they do and it smokes just fine. Johs is a great brand that isn't much more than what you quoted. Like this. I have a couple from Johs and they all smoke very well. They probably won't be the nicest pipes in your collection when it's all said and done, but they will almost definitely smoke just fine. That's my $0.02 anyway.

piperasmus

Lurker
May 19, 2012
@Matts
If I were you I would grab a nice pipe.. Ignore the price and buy the one you wish.

Remember that you will always remember the first kiss :)

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
without wishing to reiterate what has been said above, i can tell you my personal experience, which was to save enough cash to buy a couple of new Petersons...one was an Irish Whiskey bent x220 and the other a bent Killarney....since then i have added many more, but i still smoke those first two...I would in any case recommend a bent pipe as a first buy as they sit easier in the mouth when you are not used to a pipe and you can keep it in there while you do other things (e.g. drive, walk etc.) as opposed to a billiard style pipe which sometimes needs a bit of hand support and is more conducive to relaxed sit-down settings....
But you should choose a pipe YOU like the look of, which you would like to be seen smoking....and for me, Petersons have ALWAYS fulfilled those criteria

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
Me and my friend who has also just started smoking a pipe are off to the local antique mall to see if we can find any pipe stuff. Wish us luck as we will also be taking our 3 toddlers his two and my one.... 8O :?

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
Well no good pipe finds at the antique mall but there were a lot of pipe racks some with jars some without. Are the old glass humidity with the wooden lids suppose to have rubber gaskets? I notice they have a little round price of looks like plaster screwed to the bottom of the lids do those have to be replaced?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Are the old glass humidity with the wooden lids suppose to have rubber gaskets?"

Yes, but most that you find won't have them. But even without the gaskets, the jars come in handy for storing matches, scrapers, tampers, etc.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
matts,
I concur with the advice to save up for a Peterson or Stanwell. However, you can occasionally find NEW pipes on ebay that are in perfect shape for $25-35.
For example, I've bought, new, a really nice, smooth Bari pipe in perfect condition for $33 and it's one of the nices pipes I own. I've also bought a new, unsmoked, 1950's-era Orlik billiard for about $25. And I also have a stack billiard by Georg Jensen (an old competitor to Stanwell) for about $30. You just have to get a little bit lucky with the bidding and you can get some great, new pipes for cheap. Just make sure the seller is reputable and has a good feedback score.
Good Luck!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Who of us more senior smokers really saved up that money to buy a $170 dollar pipe as our first pipe ?
No-one. Or very, very few.
Most of us started with a cob, then a relatively cheap briar. Then we ventured into the above $100 pipes.
Matts26:

Here are four lines of pipes that fit your budget and are, in general, recognized as decent pipes. You may have one that doesn't smoke all that great, but I have a Pete that's not the greatest smoker in my rotation either. So a name is not always a guarantee for a good smoker. People here have had bad experiences with certain makes that others are quite pleased with.

So here's a list perhaps to help you out:

Duca Carlo pipes are a "second" series from Savinelli. They don't look as nice since they may have a flaw here and there, but they're great smokers

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/index.cfm?tag=Duca%20Carlo
Bjarne Nielsen are quality Danish pipes as well. You don't pay as much as a Stanwell or other more famous Danish carvers, but they're affordable and good

http://store.pipesandcigars.com/bjarne.html
Parker pipes are referred to as the "Second line Dunhills" since they come from the same factory. I can't compare to a Dunhill, but I do have a Parker and it's a good smoker

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/parkeroflondon.html
Finally, I've heard of Leonessa pipes and that they are decent, but I don't have any experience with them. But they are definitely at the low end of your price range

http://pipesandcigars.com/leonessapipes.html
Before you plunk over $150 on a pipe, make sure pipe smoking is something you will stick with. All four above will give you a decent briar without having to buy an estate, which is always a bit of a toss-up.
Good luck & Welcome to the wonderful world of pipe smoking. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride :puffpipe:

gungnir

Lurker
May 22, 2012
I completely agree with Mick, there are good pipes out there that are on the cheaper end of things, for example I got my Bjarne Viking 6 months ago for $25, on ebay, and its a good pipe better than my first briar pipe, a Dr. Grabow though still a nice pipe for me at least, or even here I recently had a PAD attack when I saw sirsmokesalot selling 3 Nordings for $50 each I think he possibly may have one left, so it just really takes some shopping around with a little luck who knows you may stumble upon great deals and maybe even a lifetime friend. Good luck with the shopping :D
Oh and here is the link to the post for the Nordings I mentioned earlier

3 Nordings for sale by sirsmokesalot

Status
Not open for further replies.