PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
hobie,
You forgot to add the closing statement that to save our environment, cigarette smokers should give up their death-sticks and pick up a pipe! LOL!
-Jason

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
I have one pipe that uses A filter, A Dr Grabow. Without the filter the pipe draws too free, with A filter the pipe smokes perfectly. I change the filter after the third smoke and run A cleaner through the stem and shank at that time.
I would suggest you try A couple of smokes without the filter, then A couple with the filter, then do what is best for you, LOL there is some things that is just not written in stone.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
The pipe comes in the house and the filter is deposited in file 13. On Tuesdays and Saturdays file 13 is emptied and done away with.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
I couldn't find this idea in the forum, so here goes.
A filter; usually the mark of a cheap pipe... but not always. When I was younger I smoked almost nothing but English, but as I got older I've had to tone it down a little. I guess I would be called a heavy pipe smoker; uaually about 10 bowls a day. I need something that doesn't rip the hide off my tongue after a few smokes. During the day I smoke Raleigh. That's right good old cheap, drug store Raleigh. I enjoy the taste and it doesn't scorch my tongue. The last couple of bowls in the evening are usually English of some type.
Different pipes smoke different tobaccos differently. I found that for Raleigh I get a good smoke from the Savinelli filter pipes and I do use the little balsa filters. I really think they are a rather clever and simple idea. All they do is absorbe moisture and tars but don't change the taste. I think they are more of a "passive absorber" than a filter. I like em.
What I don't like about them is the price. Even at wholsale I think they're overly expenive. I usually get 2 or maybe 3 smokes before I replace it and over a years time it can run into money. So, being a cheap s.o.b., I decided there had to be a better and cheaper way. I don't buy them any more. What I did is I bought a batch of balsa rods off ebay. 50 rods, 3 ft. long, 1/8 by 3/16 inchs, rectanular. Then I snap off little pieces in the right length to make my own. Cost about $15. and makes about 1000 filters. Trust me, the smoke doesn't care if they're triangular or rectangular. It works great and I figure I cut my cost big time.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
The filter needs to be replaced pretty often. i replace mine after every use, but you can get away with a couple of uses. I don't go out of my way to use them, but i will use them whenever i use a filter pipe. I find that with some cheaper tobaccos like captain black (which I personally enjoy) that the filter makes it taste better by removing a decent amount of oily and foul tasting tar. I would experiment to decide what you like best, it's all about preference TO EACH HIS OWN.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Hey searock, can you post a picture of your makeshift filters in rod form and cut? I have a Sav and would love to save money on filters.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I sort of like the idea of balsa filters removing moisture. When I've tried them the smoke is a bit cooler and never "wet".

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Oh, come on, do you really need a pic? It's just a little piece of wood after all... Besides, my wife loaned the camera. I'll go a little further since your interested. I make a little mark about 1.75" from the edge of my desk as a lenght guide, then I just hold the rod in one hand and lay it on the desk edge to the mark and start breaking them off one after another. So what if the breaks are a little ragged, who cares? Then I just drop them in a can I keep near the pipes. I can do this for 5 minues and save $10. Besides, I kinda like beating the system! Check ebay for balsa bundles and give it a try. It's easy.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I get home with the brown paper bag like National Geographic used to come in, empty the new cobs onto the table, remove the stem, remove the fitler and drop them in the trash. I reinsert the stem and now I have something I can smoke.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Oh, come on, do you really need a pic? It's just a little piece of wood after all... Besides, my wife loaned the camera. I'll go a little further since your interested. I make a little mark about 1.75" from the edge of my desk as a lenght guide, then I just hold the rod in one hand and lay it on the desk edge to the mark and start breaking them off one after another. So what if the breaks are a little ragged, who cares? Then I just drop them in a can I keep near the pipes. I can do this for 5 minues and save $10. Besides, I kinda like beating the system! Check ebay for balsa bundles and give it a try. It's easy.
Haha I just want to make sure I get the right ones :). I will search around and see what I can find.

scratchglfr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2010
I smoked my DR Grabow filterless for the first time much better this is my only Briar and is still getting broke in. Looking to up grade soon.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
As I was putting a new balsa in a pipe I happen to think about this post and wondered if any of you tried my idea (above). If so, what do you think?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
searock,

I don't own any Savinellis that use the balsa filter, but I've bee toying with the idea of trying something similar in my Dr. Grabow & MM Corn Cob pipes that use the medico/grabow type filter. Think it would work?
-Jason

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Sorry I didn't answer this sooner, just noticed it... Or course they work, I've been doning this for years. I highly recommend it to all Savinelli smokers. As the old saying goes, "A piece of balsa is a piece of balsa". (sorry 'bout that)

7thearl

Lurker
Jan 23, 2012
I have a few corn cobs.

Filter I never use

The draw is massive with the Dane and Pride that I have... I tend to just sip the smoke

the results though are tongue-tastic!

It's very sensitive to smoke going in through the mouth end

and the bent stems are a pain in the ass to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.