PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Denver, CO
I have a lovely pipe I purchased in Germany from the pipe maker (a gentleman from Faaborg, Denmark), that was designed for a 9 mm filter. When speaking with him he asked if I used a filter. At that time, 1990 I think, I did not. So right there on his work bench he drilled and cut an adapter to fit into the stem. The pipe smoked well enough, a fine piece of briar, lovely grain and quite unique.
Some years later I purchased a couple of Savinellis, my first filter pipes. I have come to enjoy the balsa filters, they definitely smoke drier and cooler than without them. Recently I finally decided to try smoking the Danish pipe as designed by the pipe maker. I pulled out the insert, slipped in one of the Savinelli balsas, and the pipe smokes even better than before.
I notice that I never need to pass a pipe cleaner to soak up any moisture with pipes so equipped. If there's any change in the draw I am unable to notice it. All of these pipes draw quite well, better than some of my other (and more expensive) pipes.
Right now, about 35% of my collection has a balsa filter in it, the rest do not. I have one Peterson system pipe that is smokes well or poorly depending on the tobacco, but is reliably temperamental. I find that the Savinelli solution is far superior to the Peterson system.
I have never owned a pipe with a metal stinger, so I can't comment there.

Status
Not open for further replies.