PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
One other thought: Although I think I am done buying pipes, if I were to buy another sav it would likely be from the smoking pipes europe site which seems to have more 9mm options.

Also, I have heard that 9mm charcoal filters are ever so slightly smaller than the hole in a 9mm sav which is designed for a balsa filter. That supposedly allows a bit of smoke to flow around the filter. I haven't noticed that but even if so I'm ok with it as most of the smoke will still pass through the filter. I am very happy with my Stanwell, Big Ben and Vauen 9mms.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
if you really want a pipe to filter the smoke the only one that truly does it IMO is Vauen. The filter sits in a conex so the smoke must be drawn through the center of the filter, not around. If the charcoal filter is loose in the chamber, you might as well just put the head of a Q-tip in there.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
if you really want a pipe to filter the smoke the only one that truly does it IMO is Vauen. The filter sits in a conex so the smoke must be drawn through the center of the filter, not around. If the charcoal filter is loose in the chamber, you might as well just put the head of a Q-tip in there.
That doesn't really make sense. Even with an imperfect fit most of the smoke must be going through the filter. Otherwise the draw would be almost completely impeded and smoking it would be like sucking a golf ball through a garden hose, (for Full Metal Jacket fans) .

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That doesn't really make sense. Even with an imperfect fit most of the smoke must be going through the filter. Otherwise the draw would be almost completely impeded and smoking it would be like sucking a golf ball through a garden hose, (for Full Metal Jacket fans) .
what do you mean it doesn't make sense? if the smoke can go around the filter it's going to follow the path of least resistance. Which isn't through the filter.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
so in other words Savinelli filters are basically a big sham IMO. they just absorb liquid that is created by making that space in the stem... so really more of a wood sponge. The only true "filter" IMO is charcoal and only when the smoke goes through the center, not around it.

Reactions: python and Bowie

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
what do you mean it doesn't make sense? if the smoke can go around the filter it's going to follow the path of least resistance. Which isn't through the filter.
Good point. I would think this is the case with any filter. Why would I want an auto fuel filter or oil filter to have an imperfect fit and let fluid go around it? Same with smoke.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
so in other words Savinelli filters are basically a big sham IMO. they just absorb liquid that is created by making that space in the stem... so really more of a wood sponge.

I think that is the purpose of the balsa filters, just to absorb any condensation, not so much to filter the smoke. That's why they use balsa, because it's so absorbent.

But, I could be wrong.

Reactions: Bowie

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I think that is the purpose of the balsa filters, just to absorb any condensation, not so much to filter the smoke. That's why they use balsa, because it's so absorbent.

But, I could be wrong.

I agree. Even though both types (9mm charcoal vs. Savinelli balsa [6mm or 9mm]) are usually called “filters,” the savinelli ones are probably better referred to as “inserts.” The same would apply to the Brigham rock maple inserts. They’re obviously designed to wick moisture from the smoke going around them (or through the open hole in the middle in the case of the Brigham inserts), as opposed to the charcoal filters, which are designed for all of the smoke to be drawn entirely through them. Whether any of that is good, bad, or indifferent is just one more subjective assessment to be made by the individual smoker.

Reactions: python

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
so in other words Savinelli filters are basically a big sham IMO. they just absorb liquid that is created by making that space in the stem... so really more of a wood sponge. The only true "filter" IMO is charcoal and only when the smoke goes through the center, not around it.
That's the reason I like the balsa filters. A big sponge. I could care less about filtering anything but the moisture. Soak up the spit!

And now I'll be calling them Savinelli sponges....thanks! Hahaha

Reactions: python
Status
Not open for further replies.