PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
We're heading to Scotland later this summer for a two week tour, starting and ending in Inverness. What are the can't miss destinations for a pipe smoker? Sadly, although I dearly love Bourbon, Scotch is something I just can't come to terms with, and it's not about the peat, it's the barley malt. We'll still tour some historic distilleries though. It's Scotland!

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
If your trip coincides with a meeting of the Kearvaig Pipe Club that could be quite an experience! I'm a big fan of their Bothy Flake SG makes and based on their newsletters there is never a dull moment.
I enjoyed my short trip to Edinburgh years ago but being a huge Islay Scotch fan now it's definitely on my bucket list to return and tour my favorite distilleries!

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
I can recommend the Pipe Shop in Edinburgh, it is a very tiny store but they have a lot of (bulk) tobacco and also have some decent pipes (Northern Briars, high end Petersons, Dunhill but also some cheaper one), besides they are really friendly and helpful.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
+1 on the Edinburgh Pipe Shop. Also go visit a distillery. If possible, one of the less famous houses, since their tours are more personal and not so overrun by tourists. I promise you, whether you like whiskey or not, you will be overwhelmed when you enter the cask storage and get a whiff of the "angels' share".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can hike in the countryside (lunting all the way?) that would be a piping experience. I think lunting, walking while smoking a pipe, is a Scottish word. When you cross the English/ Scotland border, you know you've reached another country. The uniformed guides in Edinburgh Castle speak harshly of the British Crown jewels before they invite you to tour their authentic Scottish examples. Don't leave any backpacks or duffles on the floor behind you while you take a photo or go to the restroom. They are not gentle on this subject. However, if you have children along, the Scots are much warmer and less reserved than the Brits about greeting them and making them feel welcome. My dad, who had both English and Scot lineage, was entirely a Scot about kids, always made time and treated them with respect, didn't talk down. The bouncers in the pubs are a little ominous, I guess because it is a drinking country, so just behave. You'll love Scotland.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The Pipe Shop is now officially on the destination list. We'll definitely visit a few distilleries, focusing on smaller ones.
How about tobaccos I should be buying that aren't available here in the US?

Dec 24, 2012
I was there last summer. I did go into The Pipe Shop in Edinburgh and it was pretty cool, but didn't do much else involving pipes. I couldn't believe how cold it was, even in July. It wasn't bad in Edinburgh, but Inverness was on the cold side and places north, like Kirkwall, were very, very chilly.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I love Scotland, and the people are amazing. I wasn't smoking a pipe when I was there, but I was drinking my share. And for f**ks sake don't forget the golf.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I checked their website the other day, and I think they have far more than shown. When I was there they had lots of Rattray's, Dunhill, Peterson's, MacBaren, Samuel Gawith and others. But I wouldn't know which blends are unavailable in the U.S.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
FVF and SJF both come in plugs in the EU. That would be something to try out...and maybe bring some home...to trade (hint hint).
If you fish, the thought of a pipe and a fly rod in Scotland sounds pretty awesome to me.
Get a picture at the walking bridge at Saint Andrews.
Fabulous place.

Status
Not open for further replies.