PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
Hey everyone, my friend has just been given one of her grandpa's old pipes, been passed on through the family to her, and we were wondering if you guys can help with any information on it's history/dating when it was made, etc so she can know the story behind the pipe?
It's an EA Carey Magic Inch pipe, although interestingly it just has Carey, not EA Carey stamped on the side...the Patent number on the side is: 326794
We know the pipe won't have much value beyond sentimental....my friend's memories of her papaw smoking his pipe when she was a little girl are very special, so she was very excited to be given the pipe this week by her brother, so I know it'll mean a lot to her if someone can help shed some light on the back story to it.
She's not planning on smoking it, just displaying with a photo of him smoking it, although she has actually started smoking a pipe this year with me...the cake on this pipe is pretty thick in places...you can see from the stem marks this was a well loved and frequently smoked pipe!
Thanks all!
pipe-1-600x450.jpg

pipe-2-600x450.jpg

pipe-3-600x450.jpg

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Copied the YouTube youtube.com/watch?v=TrAo7TtWFt and got the video

Never ever knew there was a slider on some off those majic inch pipes.

New ones don't seam to have this feature.

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
Thanks jimbo44 that was a great link! Very interesting, I hadn't heard about those sleeves that go on the stem...will have to look more into that.
@crashthegrey I bet you are right...my friend's mom has insisted she smokes at least one bowlful before it goes on display!
Anyone have any insight on age/year made for the pipe?
I had been interested in getting a new magic inch pipe for awhile, to test out the magic inch system...was on the fence based on reveiws online, think this has pushed me towards getting one!

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
It's an EA Carey Magic Inch pipe, although interestingly it just has Carey, not EA Carey stamped on the side...the Patent number on the side is: 326794
Patent number 3267941 was issued in August of 1966 for the Magic Inch pipe. There is a big article on E. A. Carey in Pipe & Tobacco's summer issue this year that goes over the history of the company but unfortunately doesn't mention a change from Carey to E.A. Carey stamping on the pipe. The company has changed hands a few times over the years.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Gandalf, to me it looks to be a 1970's pipe.
I have a few estate 'Magic Inch' pipes but not having bothered to get any papyrus sleeves means they have not been smoked.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.