PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I'm looking for a pipe cover for a Savinelli 320KS. Chamber diameter is 23mm which is pretty big. Any suggestions?
I've been using this one, it fits all my pipes (with up to 20mm wide chambers, some cake makes them even more narrow):
41QFNGXXBKL.jpg

I've spotted another version on the market, which should fit 99% of the pipes but I bet a Savinelli 320 is the part of the unfortunate 1%:
GRATTAPIPE_Pipe_Lid_Pipe_Cap_2D_0003.jpg

I find these lids very handy not only in windy conditions but also to prevent the tobacco to fall out. I don't like to carry a tin or a pouch around, I just pack a pipe with folded flakes and I'm good for an hour or two which often equals to my daily smoking time. Sometimes I just want a short smoke and simply cover the pipe after it.
The lid rarely falls out the chamber but when it does there's a mess in my pocket. Before I end up with burnt out pockets I'll try here to find some ideas. Need something that fits also bigger chambers (20mm and up). I don't even need those holes in it, I just want to cover the chamber so I can put it in the pocket without worries.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
23 mm is pretty big; it's almost an inch. I have the second kind posted by the OP and linked by sable. It's 20 mm between the tines, but you might be able to bend them to try to get them to 23 mm. I haven't tried that myself.

I've been known to wad up a tissue or napkin to stuff into the chamber and transport the pipe without dumping the half smoked the contents. I haven't set myself on fire yet, but it probably works best if you wait to make sure that the embers have all died out! Also use a dampish tissue.

Last edited:
Reactions: luigi

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Might this work for you?
I looks like the one in the second picture posted above. Wide enough to cover a 23mm chamber? I'll get a few anyway sooner or later and find out.

Reactions: sablebrush52

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Another purpose of those caps is to keep embers from flying out. However, at over 10-12 knots or so of wind, it's poor at that, and useless at preventing the wind from ramping up the BTU's, with possible pipe damage around the corner.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I'm looking for a pipe cover for a Savinelli 320KS. Chamber diameter is 23mm which is pretty big. Any suggestions?
I've been using this one, it fits all my pipes (with up to 20mm wide chambers, some cake makes them even more narrow):
41QFNGXXBKL.jpg

I've spotted another version on the market, which should fit 99% of the pipes but I bet a Savinelli 320 is the part of the unfortunate 1%:
GRATTAPIPE_Pipe_Lid_Pipe_Cap_2D_0003.jpg

I find these lids very handy not only in windy conditions but also to prevent the tobacco to fall out. I don't like to carry a tin or a pouch around, I just pack a pipe with folded flakes and I'm good for an hour or two which often equals to my daily smoking time. Sometimes I just want a short smoke and simply cover the pipe after it.
The lid rarely falls out the chamber but when it does there's a mess in my pocket. Before I end up with burnt out pockets I'll try here to find some ideas. Need something that fits also bigger chambers (20mm and up). I don't even need those holes in it, I just want to cover the chamber so I can put it in the pocket without worries.

I have the springy ones on the top. They work fine, and they're dirt cheap also. I only use them though when I am outdoors and its quite windy outside.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Wine corks sound like a good idea. Savinelli Tortuga is tempting but the (plastic?) plug seems to fit only the half empty chambers.

I have the springy ones on the top. They work fine, and they're dirt cheap also. I only use them though when I am outdoors and its quite windy outside.
Agree, the best outcome for the change. Still, there's no chance they could handle a pipe with KS or even EX-sized chamber.

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
I have that exact wind cap and it only goes up to 20mm. You can just coil up a fluffy pipe cleaner and stuff it in the top. I find that usually holds in place if you leave a bit to skewer into the tobacco. Then of course you can just straighten it to clean or mop up moisture during the smoke.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
These wind caps are cheap. I've a particular pot shape that is a bit too large for them but I find if I bend the bottom tabs outward it works well enough.

As an aside, in the original post I prefer the second design. The bar across the top type seems to get more gunky and stinky without an easy way to clean it. The one without the bar across the top seems easier to keep clean.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I am thinking to get a wind cap for when smoking outside with a breeze. However I am not convinced of these cheap spring loaded caps shown here as I predict it would not be convenient to continually remove and put it back the hot cap when relighting,
I am thinking instead of something like a two piece cap with a ring base and a swiveling cap which can be open and closed on it but I cannot find one. Any idea where it can be found?

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I am thinking to get a wind cap for when smoking outside with a breeze. However I am not convinced of these cheap spring loaded caps shown here as I predict it would not be convenient to continually remove and put it back the hot cap when relighting,
I am thinking instead of something like a two piece cap with a ring base and a swiveling cap which can be open and closed on it but I cannot find one. Any idea where it can be found?
I don't think there's something like that. Yet.
The springy caps do get hot at the beginning of the bowl. I've not burnt myself yet though, dropped it once, tamping with a finger is more painful. :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
  • Love

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm not one for metal, or silver on a pipe. And I think the caps are ugly. But I always get dottle in my pockets, in my pipe pouch, or in the car when it tips over, etc. So I understand that they are helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.