PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm mainly into older estate pipes. I just smoked out of a bent 1980 Ben wade Christmas pipe.
Well there's older, old, and some of what I have. I smoke Barlings from the 1880's, 1890's, early 1900's and so on. Much of my collection is pre WW2. But I also enjoy artisan made pipes made within the past 20 or so years. It's all good.
Just look for what appeals to you.

Tigergrad03

Lurker
Jun 6, 2024
Tulsa Oklahoma
Well there's older, old, and some of what I have. I smoke Barlings from the 1880's, 1890's, early 1900's and so on. Much of my collection is pre WW2. But I also enjoy artisan made pipes made within the past 20 or so years. It's all good.
Just look for what appeals to you.
Those are very old for sure. Is there anything or any brand that I should stay away from when looking around?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Brand? Not really, but be aware of condition, which takes some experience to understand. Buying a really worn out example of a famous marque because you can get it cheap is always a bad idea. You can only fix so much. You can't raise the dead. Keep an eye open for sources of estates other than eBay, like Goodwill or Etsy, other auction houses, as well as some online shops, like Pulver's Prior Briar.

I'm no longer in acquisition mode, so I don't know much of what's out there, unlike when I was building a collection on a limited budget. Do some internet searches and things will turn up.

Be patient.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Brand? Not really, but be aware of condition, which takes some experience to understand. Buying a really worn out example of a famous marque because you can get it cheap is always a bad idea. You can only fix so much. You can't raise the dead.
Do some internet searches and things will turn up.
Be patient.
Bargains can be had with little known names.

Some "seconds" are REAL bargains eg Comoy Selected Straight Grains and Straight Grains. These are Specimen Straight Grains (Comoy's absolute top line pipes) that have been downgraded because of barely perceptible fill(s) or pit(s). Usually MUCH cheaper than the over-priced and over-hyped Blue Ribands.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Tigergrad03

Lurker
Jun 6, 2024
Tulsa Oklahoma
Great suggestions guys. I really do appreciate the time and advice for a new guy. I'll be doing some looking for sure and I'll have a gander at those seconds as well. Thanks again

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Great suggestions guys. I really do appreciate the time and advice for a new guy. I'll be doing some looking for sure and I'll have a gander at those seconds as well. Thanks again
Here's one area where Pipedia can be your friend. They have great articles on all of the major, and many lesser known, makers and include info on lines of 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, etc.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Most of my Britwoods are family-era pieces.

Along the way I have accumulated a few later, corporate-era pieces. These may not have the cachet, but so long as they are well drilled, they smoke just as well as their older brethren, in my experience.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
If you’re going after a certain collection, it will change over the years with your budget and knowledge and appreciation of history and other’s passions towards what they enjoy. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a Pipe By Lee and considered it because of another’s praise for them. I would look for a Patent Dunhill Tanhsell, A first year Ashton, and maybe a Birth Year pipe of your choosing

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Starting ANY collection can be fraught with financial pitfalls (or sink-holes) unless one is well-disciplined.

When I decided to collect old Britwoods, I thought that by limiting myself to Britwood bulldogs, I was narrowing the field and scope.
How wrong was I 🙄
Before long, I had over 40 Bulldogs
I had grossly underestimated the number of British pipe makers 😁

I have stayed away from the rabbit warren that is American pipes.
There are just TOO MANY producers and artisans.
And Peterson - with their vast array of shapes and commemorative pipes. It seems like every time their management goes to lunch at the pub, they return to the office with a idea for another line. ;)

Thankfully I am not a devotee of Italian pipes.
And the prices of the Danish masters preclude me from buying - other than their designs for Stanwell, Larsen and Pibe Dan

As I tell my wife "Be happy if you see me with a new pipe, because that's money I haven't spent on another woman" rotf

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There are no necessaries in anyone's collection.

You might consider an Introductory post, and:

Please put your location in your Profile!
Why: It will save time for others when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc.
How: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

Tigergrad03

Lurker
Jun 6, 2024
Tulsa Oklahoma
There are no necessaries in anyone's collection.

You might consider an Introductory post, and:

Please put your location in your Profile!
Why: It will save time for others when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc.
How: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.
Done

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Tigergrad03

Lurker
Jun 6, 2024
Tulsa Oklahoma
Starting ANY collection can be fraught with financial pitfalls (or sink-holes) unless one is well-disciplined.

When I decided to collect old Britwoods, I thought that by limiting myself to Britwood bulldogs, I was narrowing the field and scope.
How wrong was I 🙄
Before long, I had over 40 Bulldogs
I had grossly underestimated the number of British pipe makers 😁

I have stayed away from the rabbit warren that is American pipes.
There are just TOO MANY producers and artisans.
And Peterson - with their vast array of shapes and commemorative pipes. It seems like every time their management goes to lunch at the pub, they return to the office with a idea for another line. ;)

Thankfully I am not a devotee of Italian pipes.
And the prices of the Danish masters preclude me from buying - other than their designs for Stanwell, Larsen and Pibe Dan

As I tell my wife "Be happy if you see me with a new pipe, because that's money I haven't spent on another woman" rotf
Other women! Ha, that is great. I'm excited about this for sure. I hear ya on the peterson's. They are cool but I'd be lost forever trying to find them all.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Please note - my tongue is planted firmly in my cheek .....

What you NEED for a pipe collection is as follows;

Dunhill - birth year
Barling - pre transition
Peterson - Supreme - gold spigot
Comoy's - Blue Ribband

Castello - shape 55
Ser Jacopo - Gem Line
Savinelli - Autograph

Ivarsson - one from each, Sixten, Lars, and Nanna
Nielsen - one from each, Tonni, Kai, Viggo, Former
Peter Heeschen
Peter Hedegaard
Chonowistch - one of each , Jess and Emil
Knudsen - one of each, Teddy his brother .... name escapes me
Tao

Kaywoodie - one of each, 3 hole and 4 hole stinger
Cutombilt
Micoli
Tinsky - one of each, Mark and Glenn ....
Corn Cob

I think you get the idea........ hahahahaha

Seriously .... love one women and many pipes, but love then sincerely. A collection, of anything, can be as little as one, or as many as the budget allows. The one caveat I suggest is .... buy quality over quantity. The goal is to create a collection of "things" that you enjoy, not what may or may not impress others.

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
As a relative newcomer, as time flies and pipes adding up, the search continues and i found that you can either a)collect pipe based on particular categories of model/shape/era/meers or briar/size or b)focus on diversity of shapes & heritage or c) do both a & b puffy puffy puffy
P.S The most dangerous booby-trap is to follow the ***what you smoke today*** thread - don't go there:oops::rolleyes:

bpinkstaff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
For me it's about what appeals to me there are truly some amazing designs out there! I like that some have deeper bowls for longer smokes and some smaller for the quick smoke! It's an obsession for sure!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As a relative newcomer, as time flies and pipes adding up, the search continues and i found that you can either a) collect pipes based on particular categories of model/shape/era/meers or briar/size or b) focus on diversity of shapes & heritage or c) do both a & b
<< Snipped bits out >>
Or one could do neither and still have a terrific bunch of pipes.

Reactions: Tigergrad03