PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Since our normal pipe club meeting was cancelled, I decided to have a pipe club meeting in my garage / woodshop. I invited my son and nephew. So last night, we got together. Too bad, we couldn't get the heater to work. We sat around talking about politics, work, tobacco, and lots of other stuff.

If the January meeting is cancelled, I will organize another garage pipe club meeting.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Considering the same here. A number of us gather quarterly at Boswell's in PA. We had planned a post-Christmas meet, but with the current PA shut-down, I'm not sure the lounge is still open. That failing, I can host the group in my garage, which is insulated with a heat source. Any port in a storm!

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Since our normal pipe club meeting was cancelled, I decided to have a pipe club meeting in my garage / woodshop. I invited my son and nephew. So last night, we got together. Too bad, we couldn't get the heater to work. We sat around talking about politics, work, tobacco, and lots of other stuff.

If the January meeting is cancelled, I will organize another garage pipe club meeting.
What type of heating do you use? I have an electric oil radiator out in the varanda. I leave it on low to maintain around 50-60°F all winter. If I try to use it on high it blows the circuit breaker for the entire floor of the house, I've found.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What type of heating do you use? I have an electric oil radiator out in the varanda. I leave it on low to maintain around 50-60°F all winter. If I try to use it on high it blows the circuit breaker for the entire floor of the house, I've found.
try adding a 5 amp higher fuse, many times that's just enough. (but consult an electrician first!)

I have a Coleman propane heater for the garage. It heats the garage quickly, then I set on very low to maintain. If its just me, I have a smaller electric heater beside my smoking chair area, if I don't want to run the big heater. I did find that I need to crack a window when running the propane heater - it will suck the air out of the garage quickly. Even with a double-width garage door and bottom seal that is minimal, I guess it's tight enough. (garage door is insulated)

Reactions: bent1 and greeneyes

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
try adding a 5 amp higher fuse, many times that's just enough. (but consult an electrician first!)

I have a Coleman propane heater for the garage. It heats the garage quickly, then I set on very low to maintain. If its just me, I have a smaller electric heater beside my smoking chair area, if I don't want to run the big heater. I did find that I need to crack a window when running the propane heater - it will suck the air out of the garage quickly. Even with a double-width garage door and bottom seal that is minimal, I guess it's tight enough. (garage door is insulated)
I would love to use a propane heater, or kerosene for that matter, as it's a 100 year old house (we rent) and the electrical is a mess in the basement. My wife trips the breakers if she runs her blow drier in combination with any number of electrical appliances so fuel would be easier. So far though it's been a mild winter up here in the Great Northern Hinterlands, with an average of about 35F. The girls on the University of Minnesota campus are still wearing shorts.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Due to the good response to my garage pipe meeting, I recommend that someone on the forum set up a virtual pipe meeting. I do NOT have the technical skills to set this up, but I would join, if someone else sets this.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
One of the requirements for me in the purchase of our new home (taking possession on Wednesday) was the space in the garage for me to build my shop and smoking den. Heating won't be a problem as temps only really drop to below 0C once or twice a year here.

That said, I'm pretty excited to have a purpose built space for me. Now, I just need to scrounge up a couple of smokers (Ahi Ka and Mortonbriar need to roadtrip to Auckland from Tauranga... Char, I don't know where you are, but you're welcome amigo).

-- Pat

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Due to the good response to my garage pipe meeting, I recommend that someone on the forum set up a virtual pipe meeting. I do NOT have the technical skills to set this up, but I would join, if someone else sets this.
Any of you who are also in the PipesMagazine FB group will note the virtual pipe club meetings held every week. puffy

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
One of the requirements for me in the purchase of our new home (taking possession on Wednesday) was the space in the garage for me to build my shop and smoking den. Heating won't be a problem as temps only really drop to below 0C once or twice a year here.

That said, I'm pretty excited to have a purpose built space for me. Now, I just need to scrounge up a couple of smokers (Ahi Ka and Mortonbriar need to roadtrip to Auckland from Tauranga... Char, I don't know where you are, but you're welcome amigo).

-- Pat
Just saw this now bro. Charf lives just down the road from us. Lol I think you are the one who needs to road trip down the line ;)

Reactions: pruss
Status
Not open for further replies.