PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I tend to use alcohol while I'm smoking my pipe. :D
But, I will run a cleaner through the stem and screw in a paper towel after I smoke a bowl.

As for a good "serious" cleaning, only once in a great while.

And then; only when the cake gets a bit too thick.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I clean my pipes after about 10 bowls. I can tell by the taste of the tobacco when they need to be cleaned. I don't do much in between then, just wipe them down with a polishing cloth.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
After a few bowls I dip the end of a pipe cleaner in Bacardi gold rum and run it threw the stem. I was gifted the bottle and do not drink rum very often. I'm more of a scotch drinker and sure as heck will not use scotch as a cleaner.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Alcohol is a must for me when running a cleaner down the stem. I bought a pint of rot-gut vodka for that purpose. I also use alcohol every couple months or as needed for the cotton-ball-and-alcohol treatment of the bowl. For my meer, I also wipe down the inside of the bowl with a rag dampened in the stuff at the end of the day.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
For daytime smoking:
I don't use alcohol. I run a pipe cleaner through after every smoke and lightly ream with a dull pipe knife. And, I rotate pipes as well as blends. I remove the pipe cleaner to allow the pipe to air dry.
For evening smoking:
I generally drink alcohol. I run a pipe cleaner through after every smoke and lightly ream with a dull pipe knife. And, I rotate pipes as well as blends. I remove the pipe cleaner to allow the pipe to air dry.
Seriously, I have never had the need to use anything other than a dull pipe knife and a pipe cleaner after each and every smoke. But, I rotate through about six pipes a day out of a total of fourteen pipes I regularly smoke. In fifty years, I have never needed to use "exorcisim" on any pipe. Then again, I do dedicate specific pipes to specific blends. The rewards of doing that are worth owning plenty of pipes and smoking them!
Below: applying aromatic to CBB. It will ghost your pipe! It is always best to dedicate pipes to favorite aromatics. You'll be glad you did.

click on the pictures to enlarge them:

It's "Party-Platter" time

Status
Not open for further replies.