Pipe Cleaning Essential Recommendations.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
After buying some estate pipes online, I now appreciate the hit and miss nature of buying from the interweb. What looks like a clean example can soon turn out to be sour - literally in some cases; pictures don’t tell the full truth

After researching pipe maintenance and deoxidisation of the stem etc I was wondering what essential pipe cleaning things do you keep near at hand to look after your pipes?

Do you swear by a drop of scotch and a pipe cleaner after each smoke? A Peterson pipe cleaning cloth once a week? Some Deniclean? A light polish once a month? Nothing at all - just keep pipes in a dark room and only smoke them under red light or after midnight on All Hallows’ Eve when the wind is blowing from the West? Mineral oil with a magic sponge?

I’m sure that some things work well, some are expensive wastes of time and some things are expensive branded alternatives to cheaper options and aren’t worth the money.

I was just wondering what combinations of products you would recommend, if any?

Thanks for your time and your recommendations; it might save us all a few quid in the long run.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
For estates, a good reamer helps. This is the old Senior style, others have copied it:
Senior Pipe Reamer : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

1649694516835.png

I don't use it much with my current collection, just occasionally to smooth out some cake. Works the best of any I've tried. Otherwise, pipe cleaners and sometimes alcohol for the stem airway. I've transitioned to acrylic stems only, which reduces my maintenance. Those little shank brushes are helpful, soaked in alcohol. Pipe cleaners aren't as stout as they used to be.
1649694456016.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When I'm cleaning up an estate, I have my favorite tools:

shank brushes - rather than get the overpriced shank brushes offered at tobacco shots I'll just buy a bottle brush set, as I've found use for different sized brushes in doing cleaning.

pipe cleaners and LOTS of them, tapered bristle, regular, fluffies. White Elephant brand when I need something with a stiff wire spine in it. BJ Longs for the rest.

Alcohol for scrubbing out the gunk. I'll use warm water for maintenance, but for the initial scrubbing out it's alcohol.

paper toweling

cotton balls if I'm going to do an s/a treatment

dental picks for hard to get areas of the mortise

a glass retort for doing a boiling alcohol flush with extreme cases. Not for the squeamish or those who can't stay focused.

glass paper for sanding down the shitty cake in the chamber. Wrap it over a piece of 1/2 inch doweling that's been beveled, or some other shape that is similar

If looking for a reamer, try and find a Pipnet. The Castleford knock off is a cheaply made piece of shit.

Micromesh pads for polishing the stem.

Some use toothpaste, so try other methods before going to the pads.

Simichrome for metal parts and sterling bands

After everything is cleaned and as polished as it's going to get, I'll use either Halcyon or Paragon microcrystalline waxes, literally rubbed on with my hands, no cloths, to add the final luster.

Here's a BEFORE and AFTER:

qu0JQs1.jpg

W9I9CK1.jpg

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I hate when I see a lovely estate pipe that has so much cake built up in it that you can barely fit a pipe cleaner inside ? So a reamer is a necessity. If a pipe has that sour, or stale, taste/smell that hot water won't cure, I use a 151 rum or Everclear(depending on what I want to smoke in it). Pipe cleaners, normal and bristle. And my new favourite tool: micro mesh pads.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA

shank brushes - rather than get the overpriced shank brushes offered at tobacco shots I'll just buy a bottle brush set, as I've found use for different sized brushes in doing cleaning.

pipe cleaners and LOTS of them, tapered bristle, regular, fluffies. White Elephant brand when I need something with a stiff wire spine in it. BJ Longs for the rest.

Alcohol for scrubbing out the gunk. I'll use warm water for maintenance, but for the initial scrubbing out it's alcohol.

paper toweling

a glass retort for doing a boiling alcohol flush with extreme cases. Not for the squeamish or those who can't stay focused.

glass paper for sanding down the shitty cake in the chamber. Wrap it over a piece of 1/2 inch doweling that's been beveled, or some other shape that is similar

If looking for a reamer, try and find a Pipnet. The Castleford knock off is a cheaply made piece of shit.

After everything is cleaned and as polished as it's going to get, I'll use either Halcyon or Paragon microcrystalline waxes, literally rubbed on with my hands, no cloths, to add the final luster.

qu0JQs1.jpg

W9I9CK1.jpg
THAT is a beauty!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England

paper toweling

qu0JQs1.jpg

W9I9CK1.jpg
Crikey ?. That looks great!

Reactions: turtlehead