Pipe Cleaners Without Protruding Metal Ends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ll typically run several cleaners through the pipe at some point while smoking, most of the time the pipe is still quite warm, so I don’t remove the stems.

My Radice Bent Dublin I recently purchased, I’ve noticed before, when I ran a cleaner through it, when it reached the steepest angle, I felt it grind through the shank, because the metal end was digging into the briar.

Since then, I’m not running cleaners all the way through when smoking, because I don’t want to gouge up the inside of the shank.

I’m using BJLong Tapered, does anyone make a cleaner, that the metal ends are either sealed, or at least not protruding out at the ends?

hmm 🤔

Thanks

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
They are pipe cleaners, i have 4 different brands / types they are all the same, they are made in long rolls and straightened and cut so yah always going to be metal at the ends. Even the White Elephants that are markedly more expensive than the other's have metal at the ends.

I would suggest trying to heat the ends and .. oh wait those would be polyester not cotton, haha cotton would just burst into flame.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Clipping hmm ok... 👌

I’ll give that a shot.

Some of the nylon brushes that are sold for deep cleaning have a plastic dab glued to the end for smooth prodding. Ofcourse they're gonna be heavier duty, pricier, and not disposable - but you won't feel like you are gouging the internals.

Here's a good possibility..

8Deco shank brush

I was referring to the soft cleaners for soaking up the moisture.

Thanks

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
I usually just bend the tip so it’s as straight as possible, and then try bend the pipe cleaner to match the bend of the stem as close as I can. Once it’s in the stem if you feel it stop, back it out and give it a twist and then try again. There’s usually a spot that once you rotate the cleaner it will slide through without scratching the inside of the stem

Reactions: MattRVA and boston
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
if I'm cleaning a bent stem like on a System pipe, I make sure to twist the cleaner as I'm pushing it through and usually don't have any problem with scraping. Same if I'm smoking a bent pipe and run a cleaner from bit to bowl.

Reactions: RobNYC

lawdogspipes

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2010
I see that more in the last 5-7 years. Current production I find it happening over and over... Clipping or bending takes care of the issue most of the time. The Video of the production was very good to see,

Reactions: MattRVA

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I usually just bend the tip so it’s as straight as possible, and then try bend the pipe cleaner to match the bend of the stem as close as I can. Once it’s in the stem if you feel it stop, back it out and give it a twist and then try again. There’s usually a spot that once you rotate the cleaner it will slide through without scratching the inside of the stem

Bending, good idea...

I’m using BJ Long tapered, I’ll bend back and twist together the tapered side, this way it gets this out of the way, and I’ll see how that works.