PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I pay approx. $1.99 here in Nova Scotia for the standard 6" cleaner for a package of 24 . While walking tru the mall the other day, i seen a lady and child at a checkout with what looked liked 12" cleaners. I went into the store, and looked around a bit and found em. They r thinner than a reg. cleaner and r 11-12" long. Cost? A mere $1.24 for a package of 40. I bought 2 packs, brought em home and cut them in half. I now have 80 pipe cleaners for the price of $2.48.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
My past experience with craft store pipe cleaners is that they aren't as good as regular pipe cleaners - although they will do in a pinch.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Most craft store pipe cleaners I've seen aren't cotton and thus less absorbent, making them less than desireable for cleaning a pipe. But as said, they will work in a pinch.
Ace, your getting a good deal on your cleaners, as they aren't much cheaper in bulk from the supplier.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I get them from a small Tobacco Shop about 12 miles from here. Now that I said that the price will go up. :rofl:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
ya u guys r correct. they r not as obsorbent. but they r a saver when cleaning with brandy or alochol. can use em for runnin tru stem first and the good cleaners for a final job. they also OK for the mid bowl run tru

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
will be on my way to a craft store tomorrow. I pay 2.50 for 22 regular cleaners. My local or closest B&M our out for a few weeks.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Craft store pipe cleaners are usually made from Rayon, not cotton, so are not as absorbent. I use them for the initial runs through estate pipes and in my wardens. Otherwise, it is all cotton for me.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I keep some of the craft store variety cleaners on hand as well. For a cheap run thru (dry or with whiskey/rum) they are fine. Just watch the fuzzies left behind. They are sometimes better at getting thru drinkless systems as they tend to be thinner IMO.
On a side note, I found some politically correct craft type pipe cleaners at the store yesterday. They were called "chenille stems!" Heaven forbid the wee ones say pipe!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Lots of guys frown on using those but they are great for restoring estates. One trick i do with those is I put one end in a vice or something to hold it tight. I feed it through the stem, put a little alchol on the cleaner and then holding the other end of the cleaner I run the stem back and forth. It works great to quickly scrub the inside of an old estate stem. You can do it with the nicer pipe cleaners too, but for estates I go through way too many cleaners to use those all the time. And sometimes I get pipes that I just can't get a normal fluffy cleaner through and the cashmere ones fit into any stem.

Jun 9, 2013
I forgot my pipe cleaners when I was at my local B&M yesterday and I picked up a pack of 350 12 inch cleaners from craft shop by my house for $8. They haven't given me a problem yet. I just double em up and run em through.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I don't mean any disrespect but I think your math is a little off, if you bought two packs of 40 then that's 80 cleaners, then cut in half is 160 cleaners for 2.48 right? Also that's the same thing I do, te craft section at Walmart sells 100 foot long pipes for pretty cheap, don't remember te exact price but its not much.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
4noggins sells the excellent BJ Longs tapered pipe cleaners for $2.79 a hundred, the Falcon super-thin cleaners (great for Peterson Systems)at $2.99 for 50 - you guys have got to shop more carefully!

Status
Not open for further replies.