PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dolomitico

Lurker
Jun 2, 2022
Why not take it repairman and let him have at it. Yeah, I know it costs money but if he is the real deal it is worth. Be sure to get a real repairman and not some guy who claims he is.
İt can be an option. But i do not want to pay 10x more than the pipe itself. Furthermore, the cleaning process is a part of this hobby & it is also enjoyable for me.

+ I am Still learning 🙏🙏🙏 new tricks with the help of this forum. İt is also fun.

Reactions: kcghost

Dolomitico

Lurker
Jun 2, 2022
I am not referring to the pipe myth. I am referring to the fact that I soak Meerschaum before I carve it. It soaks up the water and becomes less brittle and easier to shape. Alcohol can have the same effect. While it is still wet, it can be easy to reshape, scratch, etc. I would not recommend soaking it and messing about to someone with no Meerschaum experience, was my point.
İ completely agree with you as a mineral processing engineer. Water Adsorption capacity (as you say it soaks up water) of meerschaum is very high. When the water molecules get into the porous structure of meer, its physical and physicochemical state changes. So, soaking meerschaum in water or in alcohol is a risky procedure. İt can handle with high- temperatures but not with complete wetting.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Glad you got it out. Don't tell anyone, but I have been known to soak the threads inside the stummel with CA and then clean them up withthe proper tap - might just help your crack.