PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Meat

Lurker
Jul 25, 2024
Hello everyone,

I've just started my adventure in pipe smoking, and I'm really enjoying it so far. This forum has been a gold mine of good advice and experiences to learn from, and it is in that vein I hope the community can assist me.

I recently bought a pipe that was listed by the seller as unsmoked. To me, it is a elegant pipe, but during my inspection I found this in the chamber. What is it and should I be concerned?

Last edited:

Meat

Lurker
Jul 25, 2024
Thank you for your replies, Warren and OzPiper. This is the only spot in the chamber, and while I can feel the pit with my finger, it doesn't feel deep. That's pretty unscientific of course, and I don't want to damage this pipe. I'll try coating the chamber with pipe mud (lots of recipes out there!) and wait till I'm better at my breathing/packing/smoking techniques before using this pipe. I'm learning on a MM Legend at this phase before moving on to a nicer pipe.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
People can be dumb about pipes. That pipe has been smoked and sanded clean. Looks like a pit that’s burned abit. Mix a little powdered sugar with a few drops of water and dab over the pit, let dry and smoke. The heat will carmelize the sugar and hopefully keep the pit from burning.

Meat

Lurker
Jul 25, 2024
Based on that input, I think I did. Pretty sure. $75. Definitely wasn't disclosed in the description or sale.

Meat

Lurker
Jul 25, 2024
Thanks, everyone. It's a shame because while I really like the pipe, I wouldn't have bought it had I known about this issue and it was described as being unsmoked. I don't like being deceived or taken advantage of as someone new to pipe smoking and the community at large.

Reactions: kcghost