PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smetz06

Lurker
Feb 10, 2013
Hello, I am interested in the pipe carving hobby. I have just carved my first pipe out of a block of briar wood. I was hoping to see if others share similar interest, and welcome criticism, tips, tricks, ideas, etc. Anyway thanks for reading and watching the vid if you chose to.
Edit: Removed Link, L.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
you did a nice job on your pipe sir. i have thought about pipe carving, but never took the plunge. instead i have started refurbishing pipes i purchase off ebay. iam sure you will get feed back here. this is a great forum with very nice informative members.
take care.

mike.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I really love that shape. Great job. You seem like old pro. Keeping on it brother.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Great job on the pipe. Your rustication really looked like scales. Equally impressive was your limited tools and how you utilized them. Just a word of warning from someone who has made this mistake in the past. Get yourself a good buffer. Even an old washing machine motor with a shaft adapter and mount it to your bench. I noticed when you where buffing you had one hand on your pipe. Trust me from past mistakes that wheel can grab that pipe and break it into four peices in a big hurry. Always two hands on the pipe when you are buffing. Great first pipe though. Might just have a second career in it. I make about 20 a year and they pay for my PAD/TAD and the wife can't tell me no. Good luck and welcome!

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Great looking first pipe! Congratulations!

Hope I'm not breaking any rules by refering you to another forum, but if you want some good critique, tips, tricks, and ideas, you should supplement your activity here by checking out http://www.pipemakersforum.com/

smetz06

Lurker
Feb 10, 2013
Thanks everyone for the feedback and checking it out! I just joined yesterday and am surprised as to the support and kind words. I am not sure if I can reply to each individual comment, so I decided to post this reply. In reply to Piperl12 you couldnt be more right about the buffer. I had limited funds and had to use the old drill. I am going to invest in a new buffer / motor soon. I can feel the wheel grab and try to throw the pipe into the wall at times. I would be interested in checking out your pipes. Pics / vids? Thanks again for the support guys!

Jan 8, 2013
I've thought about doing this, myself. However, I have no ban saw or any other tools for that matter right now. Can't afford a ban saw, so looks like I'll be going entirely old school and using only hand tools. Should be interesting lol. You're pipe looked pretty nice, Smetz. Have you thought of doing any freehands?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I'm closing this because he has another thread on the exact same thing. Here is the link: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/carved-my-first-pipe-from-a-block-of-briar

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Just watched the videos. Great job!

Thinking about carving my own and your video definitely is inspiring.

Thanks for sharing!

Jim

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Looks like a great first effort. Please post a link to your follow up video when its completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.