PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I know some of you no doubt subscribe to SmokingPipes.com's weekly newsletter. I always enjoy reading the introductory paragraph, which doesn't necessarily always have to do with pipes. The submission in the newsletter today was pretty insightful in maintaining your pipe bowl top appearance and I thought it worthy enough to re-post here.
After a year of smoking and refurbishing pipes, I'm definitely a big advocate for using a match to light the bowl, for the reasons detailed below. A year ago, I couldn't light a bowl with a match in a vacuum sealed room. But, after using a match in my workshop through the winter, most bowls are a one match deal for me now.
This also made me think of a comment Marty Pulver wrote in one of his mailing list submissions. He had just refurbished a large number of pipes that apparently needed a lot of work to resell. He begged pipe owners not to pack the bowl too high and mar the bowl top.
For tamping, I've cultivated a technique that scoots unburned tobacco towards the bowl center and rarely push down on the smoldering tobacco. Tip #3 explains why.
So you’ve just spent a bundle on a new pipe. You wrestled long and hard with the decision to part with such hard-earned money over a piece of wood and rubber (or plastic; and maybe some silver or horn too), and now that it’s yours you’ve only done as much as stare at it longingly. The pipe’s been in your possession now for several weeks, and you’ve only managed, after painstakingly careful consideration and a few hundred visits to your favorite online tobacco review site, to determine which blend you’ll choose for the pipe's maiden voyage, and what time of day it will be, and which chair you’ll be sitting in the very moment you light up the treasured briar for the very first time. But alas, you have still yet to actually smoke the pipe. You want the occasion to be a special one. After all, it’s an expensive pipe and you don’t want to go and blow your first experience with it on accident - or even worse, damage the prized briar itself.

I’ll tell you right now, the less often you light your pipe the better. If you want your precious new smoking instrument to remain pristine for a long, long time, there’s about a hundred million different tips, suggestions, home remedies, folk songs, and mnemonic devices hanging around every corner of every chat room, message board, or community forum related to pipe care dos and don’ts that’ll steer you into some routine or another, ranging from the sound to the more-than-semi-laughable. Much of the information available to be found along these arteries of the internet is entertaining. Much more of it is hokum repeated by neophytes. Some of this data is plenty helpful, if not entirely overwhelming to the freshly initiated pipe smoker who’s still trying to keep straight the difference between terms like ‘casing’, ‘topping’ and ‘flavoring’. But the simple, common-sense solution to pipe longevity is to keep your relights down.

1.The wetter the tobacco, the hotter it needs to be to combust. Smoking wet tobacco not only increases the amount of times you’re exposing the rim and tobacco chamber of your pipe to fire, it’s also a simple recipe for keeping your pipe super-hot all the time. Probably not a great idea. Try drying out your tobacco some first. Or if you like the moist stuff, keep it out of your Bo Nordh.

2.Only use a torch lighter (like the kind you’ll use when lighting your cigar) on a pipe you’d like to destroy as rapidly as possible. Bic lighters, with their large, unwieldy flames aren’t much better. A Bic might not damage the chamber, but it will ugly-up a pipe’s rim something fierce over time. Butane pipe lighters, like the legendary Old Boy, are terrific. But yes, as you might expect, once its sulfur head has burned off, a match, which burns at around 700 degrees Celsius (nearly 1,300 degrees cooler than a butane lighter) is the best source of fire you can use to light up a pipe, what with its highly governable and relatively gentle flame.

3.Consider your tamper and tamping technique. By tamping around the sides of your pipe's bowl with a small, preferably concave shaped tamper, you'll keep the embers towards the center of the chamber and away from the briar walls. Also, in doing this, you’ll avoid tamping straight down on the tobacco, which is likely to snuff out the cherry, which increases the need for a relight.

I don’t recommend that you start keeping track of how many times you’ve ever lit a particular pipe. That’s just crazy. The notion of keeping one’s relights to a minimum is really more about preventing excessively exposing your pipe to unnecessary fire and heat. You know, the stuff that will kill anything made of wood, even a wood as hardy as briar, after a while. You can of course take this advice or not; smoke your pipes however you like. After all, it’s your special new pipe and you can treat it however you like. But a little simple advice can go quite a way to ensuring you'll be able to enjoy it all the more, and for all the longer.

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
But, after using a match in my workshop through the winter, most bowls are a one match deal for me now.

You go through most bowls with no re-lights?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You go through most bowls with no re-lights?
Yep, one maybe two, if I'm not paying attention towards the bottom of the bowl. The scrape with the spoon end of the tamper is my secret. This really is amazing to me, since a year ago, I couldn't keep the match lit outside long enough to light the bowl in the first place. Less lights, less damage. Most of my tops are polished, so I like to keep them that way. I'll take a lighter with me for travel, windy days, etc. With my regular pipe rotation, knowing how each likes to be packed is also important.

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
Scrape? Or do you mean tamping around the sides of your pipe's bowl with a small, preferably concave shaped tamper as it says in the article?
What method of filling do you use? I'd be happy as a clam if I could smoke an entire bowl on one light. Re-lights are the one thing that takes some of the enjoyment of pipe smoking away from me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yes, I use a Brebbia pipe nail, with a small scoop on one end. I just work the spoon end around the bowl, moving unburned tobacco towards the center, or the cherry as the article said. Than, I tamp just a little while taking a draw.

I do a gravity feed fill with a light push on top before lighting. That works fine for my British made pipes. My Castello takes a firm push and needs to be compressed a lot more, because it has a much more open draw. It took me a year to figure this out. I just did a post, "one year" later and it dawned on me all the lighting issues have disappeared. Practice and time to learn my what my pipes want made that possible. I'd never really read about that style of tamping until the SmokingPipes newsletter yesterday. It sure works for me.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
I want to add to the excellent Opening Post, that Zippo flame is even colder than matches. Around 675 centigrades.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Al, thanks for posting this. Although it was fun to write, I'm never quite sure if something like this is going to end up interesting people, boring them, or inciting them to violence.
Carlosviet, measuring the temperature of fire is pretty tough. Things like ambient temperature, humidity, air pressure, and present gas mixture all play a factor, which means that one can never have come up with an exact number. I've read that matches can be as cool as 600 degrees Celsius, whereas Naphtha, the stuff that ends up in Zippos and most disposable, liquid fuel based lighters can be as low as 450 degrees.
But there's two problems with Zippos. First, the size of the flame and the lack of governance over its body and capacity; sometimes it's just way, way too much. Secondly, even with their "new and improved" fluid, I can always taste lighter fluid when lighting up, which isn't a problem that occurs with matches or butane.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Thanks for posting this. The advice was helpful! It might be time for me to subscribe to the smokingpipes newsletter.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
But there's two problems with Zippos. First, the size of the flame and the lack of governance over its body and capacity; sometimes it's just way, way too much.
Exactly. I had to use my fuel Zippo last night, traveling as it is too frustrating to take the Thunderbird insert as a light breeze blows it out. But, that Zippo flame is very broad. I like the pinpoint of a match or the butane.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Ted's on his A game today. I have to agree with everthing he said. I suppose the thickness of the match will also contribute to the temperature?

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
I suppose the thickness of the match will also contribute to the temperature?
I don't think so. That will affect to the radius of reach of the heat radiation. It increases the energy of the system, either in size of the radiating sphere, or in time, but the temperature is the same. More area will get heated, but the heat maximum will be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.