PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Does anybody have ~$543 burning a hole in their pocket? Feel free to skip the anecdote...
I've been on the lookout for a multi-section hiking stick for a while now, and recently that desire was revived when I came across a certain rather quaint Victorian oddity--the "telescope" walking stick. Not "telescopic", mind you; no, no--these are canes that have a low-powered telescope secured by a clever mechanism into the head of the cane itself, to be deployed by a gentleman in the course of his pursuits; birdwatching, or hunting, or opera, or at the races. The long and short of that story is that I ended up ordering a pair of such canes, the one with a telescope, and the other with a compass in its head. They're both three-sectioned, so they can be unscrewed for packing. Alone they're sized like a cane, but my hope is that they turn out to be "modular" in a sense--that I can take the middle section out of one and add it to the other for a four-section hiking-length stick, that packs away for easy travel.
But the reason I came here was that during my quest I came across this;
Opi1XPZ.jpg

http://www.walking-canes-sticks.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d39_01.html
A cane whose head deploys into a rather fine-looking smoking pipe! So the question once more; Does anybody have ~$543 burning a hole in their pocket?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So I happen to have the pipe portion of that stick. You can find them cheap on eBay sometimes. It would be easy to take what I have and epoxy it to a matching piece of wood. I'll post a pic in a sec of what it looks like packed up

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Ha! Leave it the PM forums, eh?
Well, shaintiques, I don't know how she smokes with a metal bowl, but I think you owe it to yourself to return that piece to its former glory! Looks like its missing the flat disc at the bottom of the bowl, but more than that I'm wondering if there's supposed to be a way to plug that mortise hole? Either way, very cool!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I don't think this was originally a cane is what I'm getting at. The bottom has never had anything glued to it and says Austria. I've never smoked it just bought it because I thought it was cool.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Pipe cane is a very neat idea.

Dunhill also has a pipe-cane / cane-pipe design, as noted on the internet.
walkingCane.jpg

Alfred%20Dunhill%20St%20James%20Walking%20Cane%20Bericht%203.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: BROBS

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
That's very odd, shaintiques. I'm no engineer, but it seems like there would be a "cleaner" and less awkward-looking way to make a packable pipe than that!

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Ooh, that Dunhill's pipe cane is marvelous!
I can imagine the annoyance when you get surrounded by blackguards and you realise that you brought your pipe cane, instead your sword cane.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah! Great image that brings up, and I haven't heard "blackguards" properly used in a sentence since Reagan was Governor! Thank you.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Heh, I'm glad you were entertained! Was going to go with "ruffians" first.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Multi-purpose objects just tickle everyone's inner Rube Goldberg (the guy who used to draw the complicated whimsical machines). But remember you can grab a sturdy compact pipe and put it in your pocket, and grab a sturdy walking stick, maybe one you picked up off the ground at no cost, and have the same good results.
... hey, how come someone gets kudos for blackguards when I get scorn for nomenclature in another post ... I guess blackguards good, nomenclature bad.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Not only that, MSO, but there's often a compromise in function as well--it may be the case that a Pipe cane doesn't work particularly well as either a pipe or a cane.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
1. Cool canes. That Dunhill one is particularly cool.
2. I always thought it was "Blaggard", but apparently the English use Blackguard.
One of the streaks in my mutt make up is Irish. ;)

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Well it comes from black-heart, so blaggard does seem more appropriate. John Watson is known to use the term in the Granada TV/Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series...which also has some of the best pipe scenes in television!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Menuhin, that cane has gorgeous craftsmanship.
It is all right, mso489. We still love ya. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.