PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Now that I have a couple of (slightly) collectible pipes, one of them forty years old, I am wondering about preservation and such. In particular, I wonder how much does the original box affect value, if at all?

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Now that I have a couple of (slightly) collectible pipes, one of them forty years old, I am wondering about preservation and such. In particular, I wonder how much does the original box affect value, if at all?
It can help increase value, but usually not by much, unless the pipe is already highly collectable, unsmoked, and can be sold as a 'complete package'.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
It kind of depends on where you're selling it. If you're selling it on ebay where people are gaga over the "mint in box" concept then it can definitely help get the maximum price possible (even if it's not actually mint). Outside of ebay it's probably less helpful.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Every pipe I purchased that had a box, I threw it away. I never saw a reason to keep one. I also throw away every tin when I am done smoking through it.

Well how are you supposed to become a hoarder with that attitude? Just think of all the possibilities of things they could be used for, or people who might be able to use them?

It really depends on the pipe. If it’s an Iverson, sure, keep the box. But, if it’s just a factory pipe or something under a thousand, then no one is really going to care. Maybe a Peterson fanboy might “want” the box. But, when push comes to shove, they just want to pay below average cost for the thing.

Brian did a Radioshow where he mentions that no one is going to get rich off a pipe, unless it was already the rarest thing ever.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
All of my pipes are factory pipes, except one. I have the space (attic) to keep them, so I keep all the boxes and socks. If I lived in a condo or apartment with little storage space, I probably wouldn't keep them around.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I have most of mine, particularly the seasonal, anniversary, special edition, etc. Not for the purpose of collectibility, but for storage... and they look nice.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Every pipe I purchased that had a box, I threw it away. I never saw a reason to keep one. I also throw away every tin when I am done smoking through it.
I should buy your empty tins, id like severaland the stuff I'm smoking these days don't come in tins, and I've hardly anything left in the cellar!

I kept my brigham because the box is actually a hinged tin, hopefully my new one coming in the mail is also in a tin, pretty cool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hoard a number of boxes with no idea how to use them, and I hope I will clear them and several tons of other clutter. I think saving boxes depends on the pipe, of course, higher end pipe boxes being more significant. But ones use of the pipes matters most. If you collect pipes more or as much as smoke them, then I'd save a box for anything above a cob, which don't have boxes anyway. If you buy a pipe and immediately smoke it, with plans to do that for years to come, the box is extraneous, no more worth saving than a cereal box. I buy a pipe to smoke and have no more use for the box than a yak harness. The pipe socks however, I save to use traveling, and have actually used them when I donate pipes to active duty military people, etc., as a nice touch, along with a slip of paper in the bowl giving info on the pipe. Sometimes the socks are actual brand name socks that match the pipes, sometimes not.

Status
Not open for further replies.