PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sagar

Might Stick Around
Jun 7, 2011
Some of my pipes are getting too hot even though when I smoke very slowly.I am worried if it would crack the bowl...

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I been working on heat control.....its comming along nicely I finding a medium between relighting too often, and turning the bowl into a skin blistering ball of flaming death.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I have the same problem once in awhile and in my case I think on occasion I'll pack or tamp a little too tight which tends to intensify the heat within the bowl.

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
I believe it is on the Savinelli website about the six second rule; if you can hold the bowl in your hand for six seconds without discomfort then you're ok. If the bowl is too hot to hold for that time, stop and let it cool, relight if needed. I have a few thin bowled pipes that I have to do this with when smoking, so make sure the lighter is filled or there are plenty of matches.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
You know, that soda straw thing can be a bit misleading and led me to many to too tight bowl at first.
I am thinking that will depend on the draw of the pipe. If you are using a filter pipe, sans filter, you can really over-pack the thing trying to get a soda straw draw. At least I did.
Stinger pipes tend to draw a bit like that without any in the bowl.
I finally found a way to pack, for me, that works well for most of my blends. I just gravity feed, finger tamp a bit, and do the last part of the Frank method (Don't use yoor naaiiillll...). Turns most into a nice long burn, with no relights past what you might expect.

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
use matches to light the pipe (torch lighters are to hot - if you relight to often they can overheat the pipe (regular ones are better in my opinion))...

draw slowly while smoking, check if your pipes are briar or something else and if they have cake or not... also, how thick the chamber walls are... there are a lot of things that can be the reason for having a hot pipe...

regards

daniel
edit: oh.. one more - how dry or wet is your tobacco and how hard it is packed can also affect the temperature of the bowl....

sagar

Might Stick Around
Jun 7, 2011
If the tobacco is wet,does it increase the temperature of the bowl???

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC

It increases the temperature of the smoke, not sure about the pipe itself. Dry your tobacco out until it doesn't stick together when you pinch a bit between your fingers.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
It increases the temperature of the smoke, not sure about the pipe itself. Dry your tobacco out until it doesn't stick together when you pinch a bit between your fingers.
I would say that it does heat up the bowl, if for no other reason then you have to apply more flame to light wet tobacco. The best advice I got when I first picked up the bowl comes from one of our members, Tiltjp, and was passed down to him by his father.
"Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to. Pack it looser than you think you need to. Smoke it slower than you think you need to. Tamp it less, and more lightly, than you think you need to. Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits of some sort. Don’t worry if you have a few relights. And realize that becoming an accomplished pipe smoker will take time, patience, and trial and error." (From the Corncob Primer)

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
hmmm...

i am not an experienced smoker but my experience is different... i like to have my tobacco a bit more wet than needed... i got the experience that dry tobacco is more hot when smoking that the wet one...

from what i know - some pipes just smoke more hot than the others... that is why i like to get a really good briar and make my pipes like tanks... more wood than maybe needed... i don't like thin walls and tiny pipes... :) ohhh, i forgot that i like wood and briar wood is (from my opinion) the best wood i have worked with... so, i take special care not to remove more than needed :) heheheheheheh...

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
but, guys are talkint smart things... better pack the tobacco a bit looser and smoke more easily than pack it hard and draw like crazy...

my friend, read a lot... find an experienced pipe smoker if you can in your surroundings and ask him... smoke a pipe or two with him and you will know... :) :)

good luck...

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I generally will smoke the pipe, and if it goes out I'll put it down before relighting.

If it burns all the way to the end I'll smoke it that way.
But generally slow, easy slight puffs should keep the bowl from getting too hot, if not then you may be drawing to hard/fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.