PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Can anyone recommend a good pipe bag that’s stood the test of time? I look for one but a lot seem to be low quality. It doesn’t have to be leather but something durable would be good.

I spend some time in Canada in the wilderness each year and I want a bag that will carry two pipes and all my needed accessories, plus a tin-sized portion of tobacco. Hopefully, it would be not too bulky when stowed as it might be carried on foot over some distances.

Also, what do you call those trays that people use to break up the tobacco in? One of those would be handy…

Last edited by a moderator:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Also, what do you call those trays that people use to break up the tobacco in?
I use a piece of paper but, I keep my pipe smoking simple. As far as a bag? Stick the pipes in your socks and put them in your backpack. I carry mine in my camera gear bag. The tobaccos stay in their tin or a sandwich bag. If you are looking to impress companions and/or yourself I suppose you could get a silver salver, some leather pipe purses that'll care everything including tool, pipes, tobacco and cleaners.

Reactions: coys

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I use a Maxpedition Versipack, has plenty of room for multiple pipes, tins and accessories. I use a square piece of leather to break up my tobacco, a paper plate works just as well.

Reactions: trudger and coys

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Smoking pipes in Dublin sell a leather ‘tobacco mat’. I bought one & find it very practical. Supple enough to roll up & place inside a jacket pocket when you’re out and about or fling on a shelf when home.

Reactions: coys

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
I've been using a leather tobacco pouch from Missouri Meerschaum for the last year or so. It has a pocket that easily holds a day's worth of tobacco (over an ounce), a separate pockets for accessories and a nifty side pocket for your pipe to slide into. After over a year of constant use, the leather is still in great shape, the liner in the tobacco pouch shows no sign of wear as well. The only downside I see is that the secret must be out about these guys, as they are out of stock online and have been for a while...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This won't be helpful as you like the tray and want a tray. But I make sure all my tobacco is broken up, obliterated, and dried before I take it with me. No prep time when I'm out. Usually prepare a few ounces at a time.

Reactions: yanoJL

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Over 20 years ago I bought a pipe bag from SP that holds 7 pipes. It was made by Sheffield(sp?) and it is awesome. Nice soft leather room for lap tons of room for all kinds of tins and even more room for pipes if you put them in socks. I have no idea if they are being made as I have not come across one in over 15 years. It is the size of a normal briefcase and It has done some traveling.
Here are some pic. sorry my pics suck I am a moron with my cell phone

Reactions: Ben.R.C

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I've been using a leather tobacco pouch from Missouri Meerschaum for the last year or so. It has a pocket that easily holds a day's worth of tobacco (over an ounce), a separate pockets for accessories and a nifty side pocket for your pipe to slide into. After over a year of constant use, the leather is still in great shape, the liner in the tobacco pouch shows no sign of wear as well. The only downside I see is that the secret must be out about these guys, as they are out of stock online and have been for a while...

I have one also that I use for taking to work. It's a great pouch.

Reactions: Buffalo

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
If you're not wanting to spend a lot I would recommend Mr. Brog. They have a huge assortment of pouches and rolls. I have the 4 pipe pouch and I love it. Very well done and leather. Amazon is out of most of them but I'm sure they're sold elsewhere.