PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Try googling edc tray. I have one for nighttime, that has a spot for a phone, watch, keys, ring etc. An organizer of sorts. A lot of them are similar, but i bet if you dig deep enough you could find something that might work. Even if you had to make slight adjustments.

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
Picked up something close to this at a local 'international' market.
41swGGCIFjL._AC_SY350_.jpg

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Try googling edc tray. I have one for nighttime, that has a spot for a phone, watch, keys, ring etc. An organizer of sorts. A lot of them are similar, but i bet if you dig deep enough you could find something that might work. Even if you had to make slight adjustments.
Thanks. Some interesting stuff there.

Reactions: fireground_piper

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I could
Why is it so hard to find a small ashtray/organizer to put on the side table next to my chair? I don't necessarily want a pipe rest as I have a rack elsewhere, and I don't' want a humidor as I smoke various blends. I don't need or want 12 pipes sitting next to me. What I do want is a one piece accessory that contains a modest sized ashtray, an upright "tube" for pipe cleaners and an area for tamper, matches and/or lighter. It would seem to me that most pipe smokers would like something like this. Most of the stuff online looks like it was designed by someone who knows nothing about pipe smoking.
I don't want the thing to take up too much space. Need room for a book and a drink. It should be easy to move for dusting and unobtrusive, and not look like a make-shift homemade piece of crap. I think there is a reason you see so many lousy ones at Goodwill( other than from dead pipe smokers) because they are useless. Curmudgeon rant over.
Any suggestions or observations?
I like your idea and want one for my shed/workshop, so I made a quick makeshift homemade piece of crap/prototype out of some cedar and fir 2×4 scraps. I think the ashtray well needs to be deeper, and lighter/tamper holder area bigger, and maybe a cork knocker somewhere. Maybe a bit larger overall. ?

20210319_190043.jpg

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I could

I like your idea and want one for my shed/workshop, so I made a quick makeshift homemade piece of crap/prototype out of some cedar and fir 2×4 scraps. I think the ashtray well needs to be deeper, and lighter/tamper holder area bigger, and maybe a cork knocker somewhere. Maybe a bit lTh
I could

I like your idea and want one for my shed/workshop, so I made a quick makeshift homemade piece of crap/prototype out of some cedar and fir 2×4 scraps. I think the ashtray well needs to be deeper, and lighter/tamper holder area bigger, and maybe a cork knocker somewhere. Maybe a bit larger overall. ?

View attachment 71387
That is a brilliant piece! That's exactly what most pipe smokers would want, in my opinion. Good on you. When are you going in to production? Ha ha.

Reactions: canucklehead

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
There's that another some what like flea bag called, "Etsy" or something. They sell bunch of stuff people make. I got a black walnut tray for a very reasonable price. But since I only smoke outside, use it for holding keys and things. I mean the whole world is my ashtray.

Reactions: Toast
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Planetninestation on etsy has several designs for walnut tobacco trays under $50. I can't link it or I would. Etsy.com/shop/PlanetNineStaton? may get you there.

Size is 12.5x10 with a 8x7 prep area, 2 3-inch circles for a tin/jar and ashtray, 7/8 inch lighter holder, and a lengthy 11x.5 slot for a phone/tablet or pipe cleaners.

I just ordered one after searching endlessly for something with similar features while looking more sophisticated.

The owner seems to pride himself on 5 star reviews and will correct any issues based on his reviews.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I went with my wife to one of those 'paint it yourself' ceramic shops and painted this 10"x 5" relish tray. It's the perfect size for drying tobacco, matches, tamper etc. It took me about 30 minutes to paint all white and freehand the pipes. It's not the best looking, but it serves it's purpose.

An added bonus...I can put olives and pickles on it.

20210912_163151.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Toast