PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Why is it so hard to find a small ashtray/organizer to put on the side table next to my chair? I don't necessarily want a pipe rest as I have a rack elsewhere, and I don't' want a humidor as I smoke various blends. I don't need or want 12 pipes sitting next to me. What I do want is a one piece accessory that contains a modest sized ashtray, an upright "tube" for pipe cleaners and an area for tamper, matches and/or lighter. It would seem to me that most pipe smokers would like something like this. Most of the stuff online looks like it was designed by someone who knows nothing about pipe smoking.
I don't want the thing to take up too much space. Need room for a book and a drink. It should be easy to move for dusting and unobtrusive, and not look like a make-shift homemade piece of crap. I think there is a reason you see so many lousy ones at Goodwill( other than from dead pipe smokers) because they are useless. Curmudgeon rant over.
Any suggestions or observations?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Haven’t seen anything modern to fit the bill.

Used to see freestanding ashtrays with a removable glass dish and a small cabinet built in underneath and often a place for pipe or cigar to rest but rarely see them nowadays.

I use a beer Stein for pipe cleaners and a little pottery bowl for odds & sods. Pipe has it’s own rest and there’s a separate ashtray. It all sits on the table next to my chair. Doesn’t take up much room and is pretty low tech but it works okay and looks reasonably tidy.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Haven’t seen anything modern to fit the bill.

Used to see freestanding ashtrays with a removable glass dish and a small cabinet built in underneath and often a place for pipe or cigar to rest but rarely see them nowadays.

I use a beer Stein for pipe cleaners and a little pottery bowl for odds & sods. Pipe has it’s own rest and there’s a separate ashtray. It all sits on the table next to my chair. Doesn’t take up much room and is pretty low tech but it works okay and looks reasonably tidy.
Wouldn't you think some pipe smoking wood worker might come up with something? He could sell them here to the codgers like me who have a small side table. Your setup seems to work, but it would be nice to have in one unit. Thanks for the response.

Wouldn't you think some pipe smoking wood worker might come up with something? He could sell them here to the codgers like me who have a small side table. Your setup seems to work, but it would be nice to have in one unit. Thanks for the response.
I've seen guys over the years, bring into The Briary some pretty neat smoking accessories that they've made like you are talking about. Then Skip would tell them, really nice, can I get 200 of them? Then they turn around and walk out. The problem with most hobby woodworkers is that they are lazy and unmotivated to pursue how to get things made. They want to play. Make a thing here and thing there, but the idea of becoming a slave to their machines and producing something is unappealing. Doing the same thing over and over.

You need to find a woodworker to make you one. You're probably not going to find one already made, unless Decatur products already has something you like. I would check with Decatur and Mr Brog. If you don't find it, have it made.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I've seen guys over the years, bring into The Briary some pretty neat smoking accessories that they've made like you are talking about. Then Skip would tell them, really nice, can I get 200 of them? Then they turn around and walk out. The problem with most hobby woodworkers is that they are lazy and unmotivated to pursue how to get things made. They want to play. Make a thing here and thing there, but the idea of becoming a slave to their machines and producing something is unappealing. Doing the same thing over and over.

You need to find a woodworker to make you one. You're probably not going to find one already made, unless Decatur products already has something you like. I would check with Decatur and Mr Brog. If you don't find it, have it made.
Good points re woodworkers, but isn't it a curiosity that something simple and straightforward like I'm suggesting hasn't already found a niche? Thanks for the suggestions, Cosmic.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
If I had the tools to dado out the "well" for the ashtray and the tamper,etc. I could use some pvc pipe for the cleaners and use a matching size forstner bit to set it in. A piece of poplar would do and the thing could be painted to match any decor. Anyone want a commission?

Man, I’d love to find someone locally who would make me something like that! It would be worth every penny!
Do you guys live somewhere that has a Trade Day on the weekends, or some other place where people sell crafts and junk, and old furniture? We have them all over here. This is where I find craftsmen in various areas. I have a guy who has made three large pipe racks for me, but he doesn't want to do any more, ha ha. Lazy, ha ha.

You could also peruse Etsy, and find one who's work you like, and send them a message to commission them. The key to that would be communicating what you want effectively.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I believe if you came up with a drawing and specs and pictures that are exact to what you want, you may get someone to make them. If you are not an engineer or a professional drafter you would have to pay someone to come up with what you want. Then you would need to find out what the costs were going to be so you could get a price you would have to charge so you can make money. You would need some type of wood or metal or other type of material. Figuring out the mfg costs is a tough process. I think your idea is a great one and I would buy it if it comes out like you are thinking about it.

I would give Mr Stinky a call. He came up with his ashtray by just asking the guys at cigarfamily what would they like features wise and he came up with a successful ashtray and is still making money off it.
If you do come up with the idea and some specs, you need to protect your ideas with a patent or something else to protect your self from someone who would try to take your designs. From idea to the market is a very technical process.

Reactions: edger
There's a guy on Instagram, his name is Neal, used to post here a lot, but I haven't seen him since the new format. On Instagram his name is npod101. He has lots of accessories made for his pipes. You might check out his acct on there and use some of his stuff as examples to take to woodworkers on having something made yourself. Not only are his pipes amazing as well as his accessories, but he is an excellent photographer, so his stuff is all photographed really well.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If I wanted something custom built I'd contact a local woodworkers club or the local high school which offered a woodworking class, once they're open. Describe what is wanted and see if there is any interest in building such. You'd pay the expenses and whatever else you agree to. There are a ton of very capable and artistic hobbiests out there. Some would love to tackle a project like that.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I would give Mr Stinky a call.
I love ashtrays and other pipe/cigar accessories! I’ve seen a pipe Stinky that has an elevated cork knocker that looked very cool! I’ve fashioned cork knockers from craft cork to fit in with cigar ashtrays and other dishes that look great. ?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
This smoker's table might fit your need. Unfortunately, shipping will cost a pretty penny, like 300,000 of them. Smokers table made of wood, has pipe holders, ashtray, extra items included | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smokers-table-made-of-wood-has-pipe-holders-ashtray-extra-items-included/332810011704?hash=item4d7d05c438:g:eek:zEAAOSwjuFboBhO
s-l1600.jpg

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I just use a medium plate with a small ashtray on it. You could add a narrow glass if the pipecleaners need to be upright. Having everything out rather than fiddling with compartments if much less faff, for me at least.