PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rastislav

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
In viewing the many instructive Youtube videos on pipe smoking, I found myself admiring the many neatly ordered tobacco and pipe collections using shelves and desks. Alas, while I do not see the wife concurring to any smoking in the house, being a newbie and just starting a collection, I am interested in buy or building such an area to house and display my growing collection. Any tips or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure your shelves are supported in the middle or rated for over 400lbs. I picked up a plastic storage cabinet at Home Depot as my first cabinet, and even though it was designed for tools, the shelves sagged as I loaded them up. Jars weigh more than you'd think. I now keep most of the jars in boxes tucked into a closet, and the tins still have some weight to them, but I made sure to reinforce the shelves on my new cabinet anyways.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mine are only on display as I'm smoking them. My pipes lay on padded bathroom mats on closet shelves and my tobacco resides on the remaining shelves and closet floor.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Here's my storage/cellar/display cabinet. I purchased this 5 drawer cabinet from Ikea on sale. They sell for $89 normally and come in three colors. One drawer will hold 28 jam size mason jars. It's perfect for me and I plan on getting another.

Rastislav

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
Here's my storage/cellar/display cabinet. I purchased this 5 drawer cabinet from Ikea on sale. They sell for $89 normally and come in three colors. One drawer will hold 28 jam size mason jars. It's perfect for me and I plan on getting another.

View attachment 7677

View attachment 7677
Looks great, and efficient. IKEA may be the way to go. Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can take your time and window shop for a while, you might develop some ideas. Flea markets, yard sales, and less pricey antique shops might come up with some unusual shelving at modest cost. Book shelves with a little depth have held both books and pipe and tobacco items for me.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I use an old dresser. Fancier pipes displayed on top, others in the top drawer, the remaining drawers are filled with tobacco. A VA drawer, Vaper and Vabur drawer, English/Balkan Drawer, and an Aromatic drawer. Tins intended for long term cellaring are vacuum sealed and stored in flat long totes under a futon.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
For the larger part of my pipe tobacco stock I have some sturdy shelves from whatever big-box hardware store....but for ease of access (pipes/actively-smoking mixtures) in my 'man cave' area I actually ended up using good quality (new) crates. Had a local supplier at a very reasonable cost....modular, you can stain/color, etc. I was using them as a temporary stop on my way to some eye catching antique piece.....but have just been grooving with them happily:

Status
Not open for further replies.