PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Budget ????? How can anyone budget when there's a sale, or something you always wanted comes up?

Seriously, spend what you can afford. Right now I'd say build your cellar.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am an odd sort of way I am quite lucky. As you know I only smoke one type of pipe in one style. Thankfully in the paraphrased words of Michael Cain 'not a lot of people do that' so I find it relatively easy to add two or three pipes a month to my rotation. If I am lucky and they don't have to be sent to Tim West for restemming my PAD runs about $300 a month with Tim included maybe $375.00. Tobacco is a difference matter and runs me about 30 Euro a week based on six 50 gram pouches a week but that number falls when I start mixing the stuff with Tambo or Twist which I buy domestically. I tend to trade a lot as well with people on this forum as well as others I know in the UK so that 30 Euro figure is very fluid, although I always seem to have a pipe in my mouth and not a hole in my wallet.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
I am in the same boat as many, I was dumping $300 a month on smokes, now that goes to Pipes and Tobacco.
I think I am averaging around 150 a month and finding I am stock piling quite a bit of Tobacco :puffpipe:

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Probably $50 a month, on average. But I tend to only order tobacco a few times a year, and have bought two pipes in the last 4 years. I'm keeping the cellar stocked and growing, but only slightly. I've gone a year without buying anything other than lighter fluid and pipe cleaners, just smoking down the cellar, when I didn't have much to spend. Now I have a little more. Hopefully soon it'll be lots more.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Holy crap, you guys really have it bad for this hobby! At least that is my initial thought as a newb with limited discretionary funds! It's taken me a few months just to compile a couple pipes, a dozen or so tobacco samples/tins and a Forever Stem for the one pipe! Right now I've got too many other financial obligations and hobbies to dedicate a budget to strictly PAD/TAD. Maybe someday!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My wife and I set up personal accounts for each of us for our discretionary spending, so my PAD and TAD come out of that - along with books, various supplies and tools for my other crafting hobbies, the occasional breakfast burrito, etc.

M

mrsal

I forgot to mention that I will soon be ramping this up to about $500 per month as to build up a proper cellar... Given my young age, and love of the pipe, I do not want to be stuck without smokes should our federal nannies tell me I have to pay out the nose for something that was, in another time, the countries greatest cash crop.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I do not want to be stuck without smokes should our federal nannies tell me I have to pay out the nose
I be more concerned with your employer and their insurance provider pricing you out or going tobacco free as a condition of employment than I would be about the federal government.

I've always saved a set amount ever week for pipes. It's never enough but every little bit helps keep my wife from finding a credit card charge from eBay. That's never a happy day! 8O

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck is a lying sack of cow dung. He spends 3 grand a month of pipes and tobacco and tells his wife, you don't like it, hit the street. I envy him because he is a mans man and tells his squaw this is the way it is now shut up.
I personally spend that ever I feel like as I have no female to answer to.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'd be more concerned with your employer and their insurance provider pricing you out or going tobacco free as a condition of employment than I would be about the federal government.
What do you mean? I dont smoke tobacco, I quit 20 years ago. ;-)

Dec 24, 2012
I did the math and in 2013 I spent around 1.5% of my income on pipes and tobacco, which isn't that bad. Wife has nothing to complain about in my view.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm a happily married man. I don't spend anything on pipes and tobacco. That's my official answer.
I was never here. You didn't see me...
:puffy:

Dec 24, 2012
Using Peck's math that means he only spent 150,000.00 on pipes and tobacco. See what being a shyster can win ya? lol
Where did you come from? I thought you were away battling the syphilis that you caught from that transgendered hooker in Pattaya?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, I will have you know it was not syphilis from a transgender hooker, it was gonorrhea from a two dollar crack whore. I tried to chisel her down to a dollar but she would not go for it.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I mean, I haven't lost my house and car to PAD & TAD yet. So I would not compare my spending habits to that of a Crack head... but what is the step just below that? That is probably where I would fall :puffy:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My purchases are more random. I save my cigar shop job money and buy when I build up a little stash, usually about $100-200 every couple of months.

Lately, I have been doing more TAD's than PAD as all the FDA talk spooks me.

Status
Not open for further replies.