PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
Last night, no matter how I packed my MM Country Gentleman, I could not get the air/smoke stream to come easily into the airway. Aeration and repacking did not help. Finally, I dumped out all the tobacco and the air still would not flow easily. So I pulled it all apart and saw that the Grabow filter had scrunched up and wouldn't let the air through. I tried and tried with other filters but they would not would not fit properly in the shank or in the stem. It was like the filters were too thick. I tried to force feed a filter into the shank or stem, but the filter would always collapse under the pressure. The thing is, the filters used to fit well in the not too distant past. And it is not moisture that is doing it. I am in a dry place.

Guess I could just smoke it without a filter, no? (Though I do like a filter.) I'll have to experiment more.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
In another thread, it was observed you tend to freight train when smoking. This would produce a lot of extra heat and steam. I’m wondering if the wood ended up swelling from all of the moisture, resulting in your filters not fitting. When was the last time you smoked this pipe and what is the relative humidity like in your area? I wonder if enough time has passed for your pipe to dry out.

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
In another thread, it was observed you tend to freight train when smoking. This would produce a lot of extra heat and steam. I’m wondering if the wood ended up swelling from all of the moisture, resulting in your filters not fitting. When was the last time you smoked this pipe and what is the relative humidity like in your area? I wonder if enough time has passed for your pipe to dry out.
I would agree with you except for the fact that the filters no longer fit in the plastic stems either. And not only are they too fat, they are also too long! (I fixed the "too long" problem by cutting off a quarter inch. They now fit lengthwise.)
I am now smoking a comfortable bowl in the pipe (some 1-Q) but I had to cram the filter into the mouthpiece. Now I am wondering if I'll be able to get it out. I'll let you know.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I would agree with you except for the fact that the filters no longer fit in the plastic stems either. And not only are they too fat, they are also too long! (I fixed the "too long" problem by cutting off a quarter inch. They now fit lengthwise.)
I am now smoking a comfortable bowl in the pipe (some 1-Q) but I had to cram the filter into the mouthpiece. Now I am wondering if I'll be able to get it out. I'll let you know.
Did they change the dimension of the filter? Stem shouldn't swell. Are they exact same filters you used before? Is there something else stuck in there like bits of tobacco? Try cleaning everything.

Reactions: Beowoulf

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
Did they change the dimension of the filter? Stem shouldn't swell. Are they exact same filters you used before? Is there something else stuck in there like bits of tobacco? Try cleaning everything.
Same exact filters. And all my pipes are squeaky clean. After each smoke they are sweetened with brandy on pipe cleaners and Q-Tips. Then the outsides are cleaned and polished with a jeweler's cloth.

Still, I will investigate as you say. Maybe there is some blockage. Thanks for the advice!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
If you want to use a filter, most MM's use a 6mm filter. They sell some on their site, but from personal experience, I prefer balsa wood over canisters. Maybe try these out.
Mitchell Thomas Pipe Filters (Pack of 30) - CornCobPipe.com - https://corncobpipe.com/product/mitchell-thomas-pipe-filters/
Did you buy 9mm filters instead of 6mm?

Reactions: ThermionicScott