PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Some focus their collections on various pipes of a maker, others on a particular shape(s) and still others on makers from a particular country, to name but a few themes. The focus of a pipe collection is a reflection of the individual and his tastes. As for me, that focus often takes form in a particular shape by a maker in all its variations and the ultimate expression of that effort is the Seven Day Set. There seems to be a special magic to a set of the shame shape but each an individual expression of that pipe. Rhodies and Bulldogs are my passion but this year instead of the random buy I decided to instead focus on creating one of these seven day sets. The target, the Peterson XL 21 bulldog. It’s a hefty bulldog in that classic style Peterson does so well and is offered in enough individual variations to make that kind of seven day set possible but not common enough to make assembling it easy or quick. After all a lot of the fun comes from scouring the far corners of the pipe world in search of good prospects. Last year I had assembled a set of three in the Army Mount type and a single Spigot so I’d build on that foundation. In January I found a Captain Pete and added it to the group. Captain Petes are now made exclusively for Cup O’Joe and only produced in small numbers so finding one in the XL 21 was great luck. This month’s addition was much more common, a sandblast Sherlock Holmes Hudson. Six down, one to go.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Beautiful collection, but your latest is my favorite. Love the Holmes line. Any idea what number seven will be?

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Maybe a Hudson Rusticated. That will give me a smooth, blast and rusticated finish. Xl 21s are only offered in a limited number of ranges so as you get more of them the pickings get fewer.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Amazing set...go for a silver cap xl21 to top it off;) Love them all...the Kapp Royal is stunning.

Jan 8, 2013
I intend to pick up both a Craftsman and a Captain Pete hopefully in the near future. Lovely set you got there. I just received my St. Patty 2016 in the mail yesterday. They look much better in person. Photos really do them no justice.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Outstanding collection, nothing beats a focused 7 day set. Are all of them except one fishtail stems? Is that on purpose or just the way it worked out? Looking forward to seeing the set completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.