PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The difference in these two pipes is striking. The first is too chunky with the shank and and the blast is nothing special.

The second pipe is so much better it looks like two different carvers made them. Congrats on number two that is some real ring grain on that puppy.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
The difference in these two pipes is striking. The first is too chunky with the shank and and the blast is nothing special.

The second pipe is so much better it looks like two different carvers made them. Congrats on number two that is some real ring grain on that puppy.

Wood is wood sometimes. Best thing about organic materials. You don't truly know what you are gonna get until you dig in.

And let's be honest, my abilities at 124 pipes can only get me so far.

Shanks have been called meaty before. One of my quirks I need to work on. I have many blocks wrecked early on in the opposite direction when learning to blast and got them too thin. So an adjustment I am noting to work on.

Last edited:

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
ClickKlick, nice touch on the grading.

So, how does it work? The more crowns the higher the grade, or, visa-versa? Is it different for the smooths?
Only ring grain blasts will be considered for grading. 3 Crown Dukes will be the highest blast grade. I don't really make smooths so don't plan on grading them hahaha. That trumpet dublin Pipe #122 was the first one I graded, it received one Crown Duke. Still in the infancy of this system.