PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Only way to cook a whole hog! You have to post the recipe for your vinegar sauce!
Pretty easy really. Put all of the below in a non-reactive pot, heat up until all of the salt and sugar dissolves. Let it cool and that's it.
  • 2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt

In my family on the 3rd of July, we used to all meet up at the Tennessee River and set up camp. My brother-in-law usually supplies the pig, and he brings it in a large livestock trailer.
To teach the kids where their food comes from, they are all given large pokers, and they are required to bleed and kill the pig for the feast. It has been going on in my family for generations, and we believe it instills a sense of respect for where our food comes from, and values for life.

Then, we dig a huge pit and roast it all night long, while people play music, games, and just catch up to keep the family tight. Then, the whole next day (4th of July) is a pig feast with a huge spread of sides, casseroles, and all sorts of desserts. Everyone gets huge handfuls of chunked pig. It's quite glutenous.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
In my family on the 3rd of July, we used to all meet up at the Tennessee River and set up camp. My brother-in-law usually supplies the pig, and he brings it in a large livestock trailer.
To teach the kids where their food comes from, they are all given large pokers, and they are required to bleed and kill the pig for the feast. It has been going on in my family for generations, and we believe it instills a sense of respect for where our food comes from, and values for life.

Then, we dig a huge pit and roast it all night long, while people play music, games, and just catch up to keep the family tight. Then, the whole next day (4th of July) is a pig feast with a huge spread of sides, casseroles, and all sorts of desserts. Everyone gets huge handfuls of chunked pig. It's quite glutenous.
That is a great tradition! Hope it continues on.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
It cooker is, but only used the gas to start charcoal and wood
A yankee moved in down the road from me about a year ago. He started asking about cooking a butt NC style. I let him know that there are 3 basic cooking styles in NC, western, central and eastern (or Hatteras que I call it) and the difference is in the sauce. He came back a week later and said it was bland, I asked him what he cooked it on and he said a gas grill...I told him that gas grills were originally invented so women could cook outside, he hasn't spoken to me since.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My team at Exxon cooked a whole pig every year, made it an all night affair, with gin pole, sheets of tin for backdrop radiating heat back towards the hog nestled in a wire cage hanging from a chain hanging from the gin pole, we had inoculated him with our big Cajun Needle and syringe filled with garlic and spices. All the families gathered and had a big family day. My boss attended one and told me I see why your team works so good together.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Ok--I'm really stupid on this matter! Please help!!

1. Where does bacon come from on the pig (back bacon? is it thin strips of meat off the back? Is that the cut of meat I buy in the grocery store?)?

2. Where does someone living in town buy a butchered pig ready to put on the smoker (I got the smoker and have pecan wood smoked turkeys, pork butts and brisket--but NEVER thought about a whole pig--what size/lbs pig carcass should I buy IF I can find one around here?)

Thanks much for any help!
kind regards
mike

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale

1. Where does bacon come from on the pig (back bacon? is it thin strips of meat off the back? Is that the cut of meat I buy in the grocery store?)?

2. Where does someone living in town buy a butchered pig ready to put on the smoker (I got the smoker and have pecan wood smoked turkeys, pork butts and brisket--but NEVER thought about a whole pig--what size/lbs pig carcass should I buy IF I can find one around here?)

kind regards
mike
Fatback

As for finding a pig, go to a butcher and start asking around for a small whole pig to roast,..they'll know what you want and suggest places to get one if they can't.

kind regards
mike
Surely in Texas, they have Co Ops for farmers. If so, ask them for the contact info of a farmer with pigs. You can buy the pig and take it to a butcher or just DIY.

Or, do you have a Piggly Wiggly or Win Dixie in your area? If so, ask the butcher. They can get you anything.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
My neighbor asked if I would cook a pig for his birthday if he supplied the pig, cooker and beer... DUH! YES!

Being in Eastern NC, whole hog with vinegar sauce!

View attachment 61327
My neighbor asked if I would cook a pig for his birthday if he supplied the pig, cooker and beer... DUH! YES!

Being in Eastern NC, whole hog with vinegar sauce!

View attachment 61327
Damn! I’ve got to get back home more often! My Grandaddy out in Pender Co. used to cook a hog over wood that would make a vegetarian drool!

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Surely in Texas, they have Co Ops for farmers. If so, ask them for the contact info of a farmer with pigs. You can buy the pig and take it to a butcher or just DIY.

Or, do you have a Piggly Wiggly or Win Dixie in your area? If so, ask the butcher. They can get you anything.
We have Bi Rite IGA's around here, man, they still carry your groceries out to your truck for you...whatever happened to those days! I would gladly pay an extra 50 cent a gallon to have a gas station attendant again...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would find a local farmer and buy the pig from them.

We would roast a pig a time or two in the summer when I was a kid. Few things are better than a properly prepped and roasted whole hog. And yes, we were crazy but you must remember, I grew up in a small rural area in Southern Indiana. One of the guys with a pick up and several others would cruise out in the country until they found a remote pig lot. Picked out the right one (alcohol was involved so the criteria for "right" would be hard to put into words) and proceed to shoot the pig. Load it into the back of the pick up, dress it and prep for the roasting. Most of the prep was various "roasters" pouring some beer or other alcoholic beverage over the pig during the roasting.

True story. One of these pig roasts occurred in the camp ground while a local festival was going on. The farmer who "donated" the pig actually wandered by and had a sandwich. Said it was the best pig he'd ever tasted. Even though the criminal statute for this is surely long expired, I wish to be clear and state I was only an innocent bystander to these goings on.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I personally rather cook 3 or 4 baby pigs as I heard they are more tender.

One day we had a pool party at my house in Rhode Island and a friend of my ex wifes friend was a chef and cooked that bitch to perfection ize and we picked that bitch to the bone. It was first time I had ever had a pig roast and it was unreal. The guy who cooked it was a chef and he knew exactly what he was doing. That was the best piece of pork I had ever tasted. I knew which parts were supposed to be the best as I asked him which pieces I should go after. After gorging myself on that pig I jumped in the pool and degreased myself. I was a cigar smoker back then so I grabbed a Trinidad Fundadores and had a gread smoke.

• Love
Reactions: macaroni
Status
Not open for further replies.