PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Meers can be treated as delicately or as rough as you wish. I do advocate the following of a few pieces of advice gleaned here. NO NADA ZIP alcohol. I didn't believe that, so I tried it. ? No metal objects used to clean, ream or attempt to make them better. it won't. I scrub the outside with a tooth brush and water about every six months. I have some bees wax bars I use to "color" all over the outside like a crayon, then fill it with some extra dry whatever I have laying around and power puff it until the wax has melted, then buff with a paper towel. I find meers are best smoked at night in a darkened area while surrounded by a pack of cats. (Don't ask.)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Oh, don't get me wrong, the ones I had weren't babied, just kept the chambers free of build-up. They got smoked.?

You should have kept them!

Duane doesn't want anyone to know this, but he sometimes still wakes up at night screaming wishing he hadn't got rid of them.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You should have kept them!

Duane doesn't want anyone to know this, but he sometimes still wakes up at night screaming wishing he hadn't got rid of them.
They fell into disuse for a couple of years then became classed as clutter. Meers don't smoke any differently than any other pipe for me and they had to go.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
Embers' baby wipes suggestion is probably a good idea, and maybe it would prevent ever having to ream...I don't know. But I've never been one to "baby" my meers. I don't handle them any differently than a briar, and haven't had any problems with them.
I've tried the unscented wipes but felt they were no different then a damp paper towel. Anyone have any suggestions for removing build-up other then a knife. That would not end well for me.

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
Meers can be treated as delicately or as rough as you wish. I do advocate the following of a few pieces of advice gleaned here. NO NADA ZIP alcohol. I didn't believe that, so I tried it. ? No metal objects used to clean, ream or attempt to make them better. it won't. I scrub the outside with a tooth brush and water about every six months. I have some bees wax bars I use to "color" all over the outside like a crayon, then fill it with some extra dry whatever I have laying around and power puff it until the wax has melted, then buff with a paper towel. I find meers are best smoked at night in a darkened area while surrounded by a pack of cats. (Don't ask.)
View attachment 16428

I'll be honest when I first read that you fill it with extra dry and then puff it I imagined you with a makeup applicator, foundation, and gin surrounded by cats :)

I only have a Beagle so she will have to do.

Reactions: saintpeter

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I ream mine with a Case pocket knife. I can tell when I’m down to meerschaum again, even though it’s still black inside. I am a careful person, so I don’t know if that has something to do with my success...and because of that, I don’t know that I’d recommend this to anyone, but a meerschaum pipe doesn’t seem to be as delicate as I thought when I first got one. I now have several (and have renewed a few for others) and I’ve never damaged any of them.

If you use unscented baby wipes, make sure to read the ingredients of whatever “juice” they come in. There can be all sorts of zany stuff in there for the meerschaum to absorb.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I ream mine with a Case pocket knife. I can tell when I’m down to meerschaum again, even though it’s still black inside. I am a careful person, so I don’t know if that has something to do with my success...and because of that, I don’t know that I’d recommend this to anyone, but a meerschaum pipe doesn’t seem to be as delicate as I thought when I first got one. I now have several (and have renewed a few for others) and I’ve never damaged any of them.

If you use unscented baby wipes, make sure to read the ingredients of whatever “juice” they come in. There can be all sorts of zany stuff in there for the meerschaum to absorb.
yeah I probably would not use one. if you are worried about residue, or the abrasiveness of the paper towel, wet it.

Reactions: brian64 and seanv

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I can just see chasingembers chatting with his wife:

“You told them to use what?”

“Baby wipes!”

“And they bought it?”

“Hook, line, and sinker. I’m still working on the other stories though.”

“Like what?”

“Dunhills suck, Esoterica sucks, and the best one yet: to clean your oxidized stem, set it on fire with a lighter.”

“No! They won’t actually hold a lighter to their stems will they?”

“Let’s find out!”

Status
Not open for further replies.