PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Esoterica Dunbar in my 1906 French carved Barling bent billiard A large pipe with an estimated 6mm airway, easily the most open draft of any pipe I've smoked. Pretty much anything I put in that pipe really opens up. and explodes with flavor The one drawback is that I have to braid tapered pipecleaners to clean the airway as any single pipecleaner just swims in it. Same for the stem, two pipecleaners side by side to clean the stem airway.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Esoterica Dunbar in my 1906 French carved Barling bent billiard A large pipe with an estimated 6mm airway, easily the most open draft of any pipe I've smoked. Pretty much anything I put in that pipe really opens up. and explodes with flavor The one drawback is that I have to braid tapered pipecleaners to clean the airway as any single pipecleaner just swims in it. Same for the stem, two pipecleaners side by side to clean the stem airway.
I love a wide open draw and I’m sure that Dunbar just sings in that bad boy. I bet that pipe stays lit even if ya set it down for a min or two, especially if there is a light breeze outside.

That pipe is wasn’t modified? Was that common to have an open airway in that era?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I love a wide open draw and I’m sure that Dunbar just sings in that bad boy. I bet that pipe stays lit even if ya set it down for a min or two, especially if there is a light breeze outside.

That pipe is wasn’t modified? Was that common to have an open airway in that era?
Michail Kyriazanos examined the pipe and was sure that it had to have been altered. This isn't normal for that time period. It may have been altered, but I'm not convinced. It's not just the bore in the shank, which is centered and exits flush with the bottom of the chamber, suggesting that it was either altered by an expert or was made this way, but also that the entire length of the airway is oversized right through to the orific bit, which is perfectly shaped for the period, including the chamfer around the edge. If it was altered, it was a masterful job that took great care to make the alteration invisible.