PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Who said we live in a democracy. Pretty sad that society has forced you to hide because you partake in a legal activity.

Aug 1, 2012
USA
It's basically an outgrowth of a anti-teacher and anti-school (in this case anti-smoking) movement that, while not intentionally destructive, is terribly misguided.
"Hell is full of good intentions."

-Saint Bernard of Clairvaux (1091-1153)

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
Stig.....what are some of the reasons behind this ban???? Your individual rights are being trampled on for employment. I mean captain sousie. thanx.

Aug 1, 2012
USA
It is part of a comprehensive district policy that bans any sort of non-school communication with students. It original intent was to prevent inappropriate relationships between students and teachers, the very thought of which is sickening to people like me. The upper administration got hold of the policy and re-wrote it to ban almost any sort of non-school contact between students and teachers. This does not exclude attending functions at the homes of your friends whose children are in your school.
The internet part is especially stringent and written in such a way as to ban participation in forums where students might see what you write. It has been used to get rid of teachers that administrators do not like for one reason or another.
Teaching is a profession that you enter realizing that most of your individual rights will be stripped if you want to keep your job.
Please don't take what I have said the wrong way. I love what I do and will keep doing it until I am no longer fit to perform my duties but it is a really tough work environment in these times.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
Thanx for the sad sad explanation. I wonder if this is nationwide, or more provincial. Lordy God I never woulda thunk that this great country of ours could get so complicated. When I was in grade school one of our teachers was a den mother for cub scouts. Takes a village??? There aint much of a village left.

Aug 1, 2012
USA
So far it depends on the district. If you want to see a great example of a well-written, encouraging policy check out the policy book for the Arlington, VA school district. They want a community where everyone is working together in school and out of it. Others, like many in Idaho right now, are becoming more stringent and hostile and I'm not sure why.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
6c8daaeba8902c9c8edac7c5cf317a81.jpg

I clean up on occasion...

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Numbersix, I also enjoyed your performance as King Richard in "Braveheart". How was working with Mel Gibson? :P

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Perhaps I should add some dignity to my appearance. Halloween is still a long way off.
HPIM0480.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Numbersix, I also enjoyed your performance as King Richard in "Braveheart". How was working with Mel Gibson?
Thanks Juvat - a lot of people don't know this, but Mel has a bit of a temper. :puffy:

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Well I missed this thread, but I took this pic of myself enjoying a smoke from my new Masterson sitter at my family reunion and decided I liked it so here it is!!!
2012-10-06143001_zps916dc4e0.jpg

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Holy Cow, what percentage of us have beards, glasses, or both?
(I'm wearing contacts in my avatar, but have worn specs since I was 10...)

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
My avatar: it's my dad... 1969 Vietnam...

popviet2.jpg

ME: A few months ago... gosh, I miss this look... my students thought it made me cooler... the ladies at the grocery store liked it...now I am lame again...

IMG_0427.jpg

NOW:
IMG_6326.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.