Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Sable, love the shaping of that billiard, number 1. It seems that often a standard of billiard shaping is that the front, looking at the pipe from the side, has a steeper angle inward in the rise, toward the rim, while the angling of the rear is usually less. In this case, from what I see, the front and back more closely echo a similar shape rather than, as above, being less subtly distinct.

dime

Lurker
Dec 16, 2016
Belgium
A 1909 pipe (according the Birmingham silver assay stamp)... so just not 19th century, but it survived a few world wars anyhow. In excellent condition and a very good smoker that still is regularly smoked although the mouthfeel of the thicker mouthpiece is al little awkward... The silver work mentions E.B. BBB and a Birmingham assay stamp. I do not know what the P.MA in the triangle means (probably a dealer ?)

Furth1909_BBB.jpgermore a well used 19th century meerschaum (A. Burkard was a pipe shop in Antwerp in the late 19th century).
Also in good condition and perfectly smokable, but I do not like smoking it: the stem is fragile, and so long and fine that the smoke is too cold when it reaches the mouth...

Burkhard meerschuim.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
a well used 19th century meerschaum (A. Burkard was a pipe shop in Antwerp in the late 19th century).
Also in good condition and perfectly smokable, but I do not like smoking it: the stem is fragile, and so long and fine that the smoke is too cold when it reaches the mouth...
HMMMmmm, so you don't like it. And smokeable... ?

dime

Lurker
Dec 16, 2016
Belgium
First mention I've read of the smoke being too cool for enjoyment. Interesting!
Interesting for sure, But I just do not like it when the smoke hits my palate too cold. It is a bit like drinking red wine: when it is served too cold it does not deliver as when served on the 'right' temperature, but YMMV (I also prefer my whisky straight and leave any ice cubes out...). In my experience this cold-smoke-feeling has certainly to do with the length of the stem, but maybe also with the airflow characterics of the pipe. I have similar experiences with my older but fine smoking Ascorti's : you can already feel it when you draw on the non filled pipe. The air that hits the mouth is fresher (but not too cold) and has more 'speed' than the air sucked through my 'modernely' drilled 4mm pipes. I suppose that the venturi-effect of the drilling choices made by the pipe maker might contribute somehow to this cooling effect.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
Here are a few of mine:
Barling 1896:
btoOxSu.jpg

xeIGfHz.jpg

Barling 1882:
iJpeyRe.jpg

Barling 1883:
nSv84T4.jpg

The first pipe made in St Claude, assuming that it still exists and can be authenticated, would be a cool thing to see. The earliest Briar pipe I've seen dates to 1867, IIRC.
Wow! Do you smoke those? Epic!

Reactions: sablebrush52

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
A 1909 pipe (according the Birmingham silver assay stamp)... so just not 19th century, but it survived a few world wars anyhow. In excellent condition and a very good smoker that still is regularly smoked although the mouthfeel of the thicker mouthpiece is al little awkward... The silver work mentions E.B. BBB and a Birmingham assay stamp. I do not know what the P.MA in the triangle means (probably a dealer ?)

FurthView attachment 29664ermore a well used 19th century meerschaum (A. Burkard was a pipe shop in Antwerp in the late 19th century).

View attachment 29665
Well if you ever get bored with it let me know as I am rather fond of Burkard meerschaums as they exhibited at the 1876 World Fair if my memory serves we correctly and I am always happy to purchase meerschaum pipes of that style.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well if you ever get bored with it let me know as I am rather fond of Burkard meerschaums as they exhibited at the 1876 World Fair if my memory serves me correctly and I am always happy to purchase meerschaum pipes of that style.
Wow, Simon, I knew you weren't a Spring chicken, but man, you are well preserved!

• Haha
Reactions: radrick96
Status
Not open for further replies.