Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Here's an observation for those just getting a start in photography, either as a hobby or, as a possible profession. Get out there and take pictures no matter what gear you have available! Learn to disregard the clutter and focus on what has caught your eye. Then you can learn about light, settings, length of lens compromises, etc.

If you can, while out taking shots, strike up conversations with those obviously more experienced than you are. As a rule, shooters will gladly share why and how they are shooting when not actually peering through the lens. For God's sake leave 'em alone then! Yes, even asocial me enjoys imparting whatever observations I can. I've even been known to tell a neophyte to go back to car get the damned lens hood if they want to improve a shot of a duck on the water.

We get a lot of tourists in a favorite spot of mine. I want them to return home with shots that aren't washed and and appear dramatic as they remember. It's the one chink in my asocial armor. Those folk have spent a bunch of moneys on their once in a lifetime trip to Alaska. I want them look at their photos fondly not, "Why the hell did I take that?"

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That's a clever trick.

The only issue is white balance in case the other lights are of a different Kelvin temp.

The lightbox came with intended-for-photography bulbs (can't recall the temp spec), which was also one of the selectable wavelengths on the wand.

It's a SUPER handy gadget for pipe pics. Easy to adjust physical position, and has five brightness levels.

Cheep, too. I think it was 40 bucks. (not even a battery eater --- it's rechargable)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Here's an observation for those just getting a start in photography, either as a hobby or, as a possible profession. Get out there and take pictures no matter what gear you have available! Learn to disregard the clutter and focus on what has caught your eye. Then you can learn about light, settings, length of lens compromises, etc.

If you can, while out taking shots, strike up conversations with those obviously more experienced than you are. As a rule, shooters will gladly share why and how they are shooting when not actually peering through the lens. For God's sake leave 'em alone then! Yes, even asocial me enjoys imparting whatever observations I can. I've even been known to tell a neophyte to go back to car get the damned lens hood if they want to improve a shot of a duck on the water.

We get a lot of tourists in a favorite spot of mine. I want them to return home with shots that aren't washed and and appear dramatic as they remember. It's the one chink in my asocial armor. Those folk have spent a bunch of moneys on their once in a lifetime trip to Alaska. I want them look at their photos fondly not, "Why the hell did I take that?"
Pictures are the only thing left behind. Kodak moments are good.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG