PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm still upset that in Massachusetts it's up to a year in jail for eating peanuts in church, thank god I'm a jew, and that I don't live there anymore. Well off to pickup some cracker jack and hit Synagogue!
I’m guessing it’s because the early Massachusettsans (?) couldn’t keep their shells off the floor.

You’d think the Planter’s folks would be rising up in protest to get this changed.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I think the main points are, there are always stupid laws and there are going to be people that think it's the government's job to run our lives and raise our kids, the fact that all of this tobacco regulation popping up is hilarious because weed is available in all of those places .. so the "it's for your health" messages are bullshit, and I'm all for legal weed ... it's a cash cow for taxes and well its cool dude .. also are they REALLY going to give up all that tobacco tax money and if they did where would they get it... hint out of your pockets... so it's less likely it's going to happen and even if it did start to move forward the lawsuits would bog it right down.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think the main points are, there are always stupid laws and there are going to be people that think it's the government's job to run our lives and raise our kids, the fact that all of this tobacco regulation popping up is hilarious because weed is available in all of those places .. so the "it's for your health" messages are bullshit, and I'm all for legal weed ... it's a cash cow for taxes and well its cool dude .. also are they REALLY going to give up all that tobacco tax money and if they did where would they get it... hint out of your pockets... so it's less likely it's going to happen and even if it did start to move forward the lawsuits would bog it right down.
I love the apples VS oranges comparison of weed to tobacco. The ban on boo was a very expensive waste of resources. Prohibit something and people will seek it out. So after decades of doing nothing but make cartels richer than Musk, state legislatures figured that out. But here's the thing the everyone who rags on about this fails to figure out.

There's decades of very public research into the deleterious effects of tobacco on health and on economic productivity due to its effects on health and the campaign of "death by a thousand cuts" has been quite effective in marginalizing smoking. It's no loner "cool" and hasn't been for a long time.

The deleterious effects of smoking pot haven't been widely publicized and as time goes on you can expect the same campaign of "death by a thousand cuts" to marginalize it as well. Much more effective than prohibition, and legislators have finally figured that out. Just wait.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
The deleterious effects of smoking pot haven't been widely publicized...
This is true. I've thought about why that's the case, and my best guess is that those who have been assigned the task of doing it are just too stoned. Or they're still stuck at the Inn-N-Out burger drive-thru line. And now that I think of it, that means both.

To the OP, I offer just a few words of wisdom from the late George Carlin: "Where ideas are concerned, America can be counted on to do one of two things: take a good idea and run it completely into the ground, or take a bad idea and run it completely into the ground."

Tobacco will never be cheaper or more readily available than it is right at this moment. Mods, perhaps you could pin this statement somehow? 🎯

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Once upon a time the federal government and most of the states declared war on oleomargarine.

There were lots of reasons given, but the prime reason was that oleomargarine was cheaper than real butter, and the federal government and the states wanted to protect dairy farmers from competition.

Even today Wisconsin has some few restrictions against oleomargarine and imported butter, but not nearly as draconian as years ago.

Every law student is still taught this 1904 case, upholding a federal tax on oleomargarine, not repealed until 1950.

Part of the founding of America was a revolt based in part over a small tax on tea, later repealed by the mother country.

For nearly 250 years we’ve been able to levy our own taxes on luxuries or necessities, or even outlaw them.

A tax or a ban on what I don’t do is by God the right American thing to do, but it’s fascism or communism to do it to what I like, is the prevailing attitude.

The answer is teaching children tolerance, but how best to do it, you know?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Maybe a handful...but by then they'll all have their Neuralink brain implants which will cure them of their evil nicotine addiction, as well as make them not want to visit any unauthorized websites. It will be a true utopia...California worldwide!
I'm sure we'll have a vaccine for that in the near future. First a vaccine, then the implant.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
Just today in San Diego the latest smoking law took effect. Apparently you can’t smoke anywhere outside on public land. You can’t smoke in a parked car, it must be moving. It was noted that the police are mandated to enforce the law.
The funny thing is the forms of smoking mentioned in these laws never include loose leaf pipe tobacco. It’s always cigarettes, E cigarettes and flavored vape thingies.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just today in San Diego the latest smoking law took effect. Apparently you can’t smoke anywhere outside on public land. You can’t smoke in a parked car, it must be moving. It was noted that the police are mandated to enforce the law.
The funny thing is the forms of smoking mentioned in these laws never include loose leaf pipe tobacco. It’s always cigarettes, E cigarettes and flavored vape thingies.
and it i highly unlikely that Police officers in mighty city of S Diego would enforce such idiotism.

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
AB 935 was introduced in California's assembly yesterday. The bill would prohibit the sale of tobacco to anyone born after January 1, 2007. Any retailers caught breaking this law would be fined $400-$600 for a first offense and the amounts would increase up to $5,000 to $6,000 for a 5th offense over a five-year period. In addition, once the retailer had committed a 3rd, 4th, or 5th offense they'd be reported to the Board of Equalization which would issue another $250 fine and suspend or revoke the retailer's license.

Since it was just proposed yesterday there is obviously plenty of time for this bill to be amended and I don't have any indication yet whether there is widespread support for the bill. I just thought I'd share so people were aware.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=202320240AB935
I find it hilarious at how gung-ho they were to legalize marijuana but are going after tobacco. How about banning alcohol while you're at it: car crashes, cancers, domestic abuse, violence, seems like alcohol should be on their chopping block too. Truth is, if people want it, theyll get it one way or another.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
California doesn't have a monopoly on stupid rules and regulations, they (stupid rules) can be found at any level of government or other organizations (schools, churches, golf clubs, etc.) I suppose California is leading the pack in this area however. I guess the bright spot might be for those of us who don't reside in California as the availability of tobacco might improve.

Part of the impetus for the legalization of marijuana is the realization that there's money to be made by taxing it and money saved on the enforcement and punishment side as well. I've yet to find a politician who wasn't devoted to extracting more money from me to finance their ideas and schemes.

Reactions: romaso