PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Well, I'm also glad for you guys that like this blend. I bought some today and have tried three bowls. I just can't detect much flavor at all. I don't think I'm going to smoke any more of it. I'll just put the rest in my tobacco chest and give it another try sometime down the road.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
docspipe said:

As with Irish Flake, University Flake is no longer produced by K-K
I wasn't aware. I look forward to trying the new blend. The K-K version was delicious but I did notice some harshness, especially from a newly opened fresh tin. Now and then I crave Uni Flake and plan on having some tins cellared in short order.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
I'm going to pop open a tin of UF this afternoon. Was wondering if this light aro would be strong enough to ghost a pipe or not.....

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I smoke it from time to time and have no problem with ghosting. I would imagine it would ghost if you repeatedly smoke it in the same pipe though. Reminds me of blueberry pancakes, I don’t taste plum.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would personally dedicate a pipe to this blend if you have enough pipes, as it is distinctive enough to warrant it's own pipe.
Maybe my memory is totally screwed but Modern Flake was nothing like UF. I picture Modern to be a soft pliable flake in the same vein as Dunhill Flake and that type of flake, where as UF is a denser different style of flake altogether.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Last I smoked UF was ~2005, and though I still like it, I like it less than my 12 y/o memory says. Nicotine the same, but I recall a stronger flavor and topping.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
One of my staples. I smoke UF at least once a week. I've been smoking this blend for over 10 years and have noticed some small differences, but it is essentially the same and scratches the same itch

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have been meaning to try this, as a lover of Royal Yacht, I am willing to try some different plum casing. They had it out of stock every single time I ordered it from the local tobacconist ... I almost gave up on it. You guys peaked my curiosity once more...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I rubbed it out and let it dry on a napkin for a couple of hours. Fresh tin. I just didn't care for the flavor. All I got was the topping, it overwhelmed the tobacco.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mark, Throw the tin in one of your tupperwares for a few months and then try it again. When I first tried MAc Baren Old Dark Fired I didn't like it at all. I threw the tin in one of my tupperware containers and smoked it again like 6-8 months later and fell in love. I loaded up on it big time in 2012 and I smoke it on a regular basis. You never know when a blend might hit you totally different down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.