PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have !! 10-- Petersons, and like them ! thinking-- of Ashford // Gaelach // Celtic Ebony /--or a nice Spigot Bulldog.......
Then you likely have one of the shapes those come in - it's mostly just a difference in finish - there's no reason I can think of to think a Gaelach XL11 or B42 would perform any differently than the same shape with a different finish assuming the other aspects are the same (i.e. assuming not a system, for example). Same for the other names you identified.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Then you likely have one of the shapes those come in - it's mostly just a difference in finish - there's no reason I can think of to think a Gaelach XL11 or B42 would perform any differently than the same shape with a different finish assuming the other aspects are the same (i.e. assuming not a system, for example). Same for the other names you identified.
That might make a visually interesting collection, a Peterson #whatever in every finish.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I don't know if the ebony Petersons is the same as they do the Dracula series, I have one in my collection and the finish is that they use a ethanol dye and then burn it off and they repeat it 6 or 7 times and they buff it, on the smooth ones it gives very shiny black finish, I assume that they also do it on the rustic ones, I have a black Deluxe B42 and I think it is the same technique.

Reactions: Nevaditude

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I have had lots of Peterson pipes over the years, most good, a few awful and a few great. For some reason my Dracula 106 is a great virginia pipe. I enjoy SPC Hogshead most in that pipe. However, and this is completely subjective and your experience may well differ, I hate the P-lip and now have but one. Others certainly love it but it ruins the experience for me and I have been a pipesmoker for more than 40 years (closer to 50)

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I have had lots of Peterson pipes over the years, most good, a few awful and a few great. For some reason my Dracula 106 is a great virginia pipe. I enjoy SPC Hogshead most in that pipe. However, and this is completely subjective and your experience may well differ, I hate the P-lip and now have but one. Others certainly love it but it ruins the experience for me and I have been a pipesmoker for more than 40 years (closer to 50)
i am on the same boat..P LIP for me means supressed flavors.. I do not mind how uncomfortable it is but I rarely get great flavors out of P.lip

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I have !! 10-- Petersons, and like them ! thinking-- of Ashford // Gaelach // Celtic Ebony /--or a nice Spigot Bulldog.......
I got a red spigot bent bulldog (80s) with a fishtail stem, it's my most favorite of my briars (though admittedly, I only have 4 briar pipes).

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Do you smoke your p-lips less often? I was thinking you loved the p-lip because of the number I believe I’ve seen you post.
I do smoke them less..Only got 19 p -lips out of about 150 pipes..They are not a complete deal breaker and I will smoke them ok but trying to buy pipes without them..I noticed about year or 2 back that I get better flavors with fishtails...I think everybody get differently positioned taste sensors in a mouth..For me p lip does not work too well..I still get great taste on some of my p-lip pipes but prefer fishtails...

Reactions: AroEnglish

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
I very much enjoy the overall look and vibe of most Peterson’s that I’ve seen. I like the plump and exaggerated lines they carry, and have a particular draw towards the silver and copper army mounted pipes.
Regaeding Ashtons, I’ve been very attracted to the earthy, rustic-ish layered stains with Cumberland stems. Seems like a great combo

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman