PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I know that many people have opposite opinions on the very acclaimed dunhill early morning pipe. Now in my opinion that is a good blend, but not a wow blend as far as my personal taste goes. And recently I am inclined to say it's not a unique blend either. Since I have been smoking old Dublin for the past month, I start seeing less and less difference between the person blend and the dunhill. Any thoughts on that ?

P

pipebuddy

I remember Old Dublin has more Latakia and some Black Cavendish as well, as where EMP is a Virginia and Oriental with a pinch of Latakia...From memory, I see them as rather different in composition and taste.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
I personally like Early Morning Pipe, Old Dublin and My Mixture 965. However, to my tastes, they do not taste similar at all. I was recently in a B&M and was talking to the guy about how MM965 is my favorite everyday smoke and bemoaning the pending hiatus. He mentioned Old Dublin being really similar. I bought a tin and immediately lit up a bowl in the smoking room. Almost immediately, I thought 'this isn't anything like 965.' Old Dublin seems much more oriental forward with less backbone than 965. I also didn't get the sweet and sour taste I love with MM965. Old Dublin is still very good and I will buy more, but it's not a like for like w/965

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
EMP is good, and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to venture into English blends that hasn't before. I actually prefer McClelland's AM Pipe now to EMP, but since EMP was my very first English and I loved the experience. I always recommend/give EMP in in sampler packs to new pipe smokers.
I did buy some Old Dublin roughly around the same time I started smoking English blends, and I didn't find it was the same as EMP. I did find it provided a more robust smoke throughout the bowl, where EMP tended to fade out toward the end.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
I don't like Emp that much. I have some in a jar, but there is something in it I just don't like, not sure what. I smoked it once on a rainy day, and thought it was pretty good, but never had to go back to it again. I don't hate it though. The only one I came across that I cannot stand the smell of is MacBaren's Plum Cake. Hate that stuff. It pretty much has turned me off to anything with rum, so if I smell the slightest hint of rum, I'll pass. Emp to me has a very slight hint of something I don't like that is similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.