Peterson's 3P's Plug Tobacco: What is the top layer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
2 Fresh Micah Redmond Pipes
18 Fresh Barling Pipes
3 Fresh Wojtek Pastuch Pipes
18 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

astralogic

Lurker
Feb 24, 2017
Hi, I recently bought a 5g sample of Peterson's 3 P's plug tobacco, and was insanely delicious, so I bought myself a tin. After firing it up I discover the taste is not the same,, there is a hint of that flavour that blew my mind, but it was not the same at all.
Then I realized why, the 5g sample I bought first was not cut correctly, it was cut horizontally! That was my first time with a piece of plug tobacco so I didn't realize that right away.
So I just got the top millimeter or two of the plug, and therefore I'm hoping that someone knows what that top layer is, because it is by far the best tasting tobacco I have ever had and it's not even an aromatic (which I normally smoke).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sorry man, I can't really help you. I think 3P's is delicious as a whole and is one of my all time favorites but all I know is that it's a lightly cased VaBur Plug. I imagine that the top layer is just VA. Have you tried to duplicate the cut of your original sample? You sure that sample was indeed 3P's? I can't imagine it would taste that much different if ya just smoke the top half but I haven't tried it so I really can't say.

astralogic

Lurker
Feb 24, 2017
It was only the top couple of mm, it was as thin as a normal flake definitely not the "top half" of the plug.
If anyone tries the top layer let me know how it goes.
My next bowl will be the top layer of 3 P's just to confirm the taste. However I am very new to cutting these plugs, it's a bit of a job, I didn't want to ruin the plug by failing at an attempt to cut it the wrong way, but it's soo tasty, I'm gonna do it anyway, I have to try.
Edit: Oh, and what is VA?

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
It's either Virginia or Burley, that is for sure.

What you like about it might have also been a topping, if they apply the sauce on top of the plug after pressing it, it would make sense if the top layer carries a concentrated amount of flavoring.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I doubt there is any consistency in the way the leaves are layered in the factory. Perhaps Burley leaves on the top layer one day, perhaps Virginia leaves on the top layer another day.
The important thing is the ratio of the leaves being consistent throughout its manufacture over a period of time.
As for the flavouring being poured onto the ready made plug I find that doubtful. More likely sprayed onto the leaves during the layering process afore pressing.
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The important thing is the ratio of the leaves being consistent throughout its manufacture over a period of time.
Tastes like a strong Virginia leaf, some dark fired leaf and possibly some additional Burleys.
Smoking it now. What a glorious, delicious, wonderful tobacco that is only a small pain in the ass to prepare (especially if you accidentally sit on the knife).

Status
Not open for further replies.